I am a partial interest landowner due to land owned by my ancestors. This land has been been passed down to different cousins throughout the decades.

I have 4 different parcels of land. Two parcels have Cotton Valley Wells drilled last year that are in production. The lease signed on those did not have a Pugh Clause and the energy company there is a much smaller player. They are taking a 'wait and see' position to see what transpires close to those two parcels. If a larger player hits big...close to my property, they will partner up and drill. Unfortunately, since the abscence of a Pugh Clause, we will be out of any potential new lease bonus.

I have two other properties close by. I have not been able to locate in any old files any documents showing where any wells or production activity has occurred. How do I determine if these two properties would be candidates for potential H-Shale leases?

Thanks

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ted,
Try NARO, the National Association of Royalty Owners. Google their website, and scroll down to the section regarding commonly asked questions and print article. I wished I would have found this info early on, as it would have saved me alot of energy and footwork, as we were in a similar situation.
Shelby
Thank you so much!
If you join NARO and attend conventions, conferences, seminars, whatever, you can attend workshop sessions, etc.on Leasing, and various other topics about the business, an you can meet individuals who would assist you as a resource person when needed, etc. Also, they do have materials available even on the internet where you can purchase books, booklets, etc.
The meetings are interesting, and usually people enjoy them as part of it is informal where one can visit, etc. Good food, good company--it is like family oriented. One can also become a CMM through this association.
In or to be "candidates for potential H-Shale leases" you need the following:

1) own the mineral rights on the tract in question.
2) not be covered by an existing lease.

For #1 it seems you could have some interesting title, but the concept is simple. You run the title back to determine in the minerals have ever been severed, and to determine if the mineral rights were included in the patent. a little leg work at the courthouse would be needed to determine this.

For #2, it would be nessarry to check all previous owners of the mineral rights to see if the minerals were ever leased, and more importantly if these leases are stilin effect. Again, this would be found in the courthouse records, possibly combined with records from the Office of Conservation to determinr mineral history.
needless to say, the task of determining mineral rights can be time consuming and requires special skills. Which is why there are Landmen.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service