BlackBrush O&G LP applies to form a 1440 acre Austin Chalk drilling unit in 1N - 2E.

Cut-and-paste the following URL into your search box to view the application including play.

ucmwww.dnr.state.la.us/ucmsearch/UCMRedir.aspx?url=http%3a%2f%2fdnrucm%2fucm%2fgroups%2fconservation%2fdocuments%2fooc%2f6053362.pdf

Views: 15675

Replies to This Discussion

Knowing a little about thickness and porosity and permeability (P&P) may give us an idea of the perceived  frac cylinder size which will be of interest as to well spacing within unit boundaries.  Ductility is a problem for Haynesville Shale north of I-20 and is a big challenge for TMS operators.

The fact that larger frac cylinders are not necessarily better and can often cause problems seems to evade the notice of laymen and anti-fracking forces.  Many think the more rock you break up, the more hydrocarbon you get.  Tain't necessarily so.  In fact fracking out of zone can cause big headaches in the form of produced water and impurities which are both costly to dispose of properly. 

A back issue at this point is a concern by the public for new salt water disposal wells which will be needed if the play proves economic.  There has already been poorly sourced media reporting and hard green activists opposing one new proposed disposal facility.

Jay,

Effective frac'ing is the key to this new AC hz play. This has been touched on a lot by myself in other discussions.

Of course, P&P without O&G saturations won't work - so AC sections that are "charged" are required.

Are there mappable ash beds in the AC section you have looked at?

Re: Ash Beds

Jay, depending on thickness, these ash beds can be barriers and/or baffles. By baffles, they would tend to "suck up" a lot of frac propagation energy and negatively impact frac growth.

I have attached a recent SPE publication that addresses impact of ash beds on EF. In my opinion, these intervals should always be a concern for fracture stimulation (as well as natural fracture) growth.

It doesn't take much (ash} to have an impact.

SPE-179110-MS%20ASH%20Beds%20and%20EagleFord%202016.pdf

Gentlemen:

It would appear from Skip's comment above that by using this latest iteration of D&C techniques that he anticipates multiple wells per drilling unit (as one has come to expect in the shale beds in NW LA and elsewhere - keying on his 660' well spacing commentary).  However, it has been my understanding that the use of frac job and proppant has chiefly been used to support the formation and frac bed after stimulated fracturing has been completed, but still primarily using the lateral wellbore(s) to "join" natural fractures transverse to said wellbore through a common set of take points along its/their length(s), then up the vertical to the point of capture.  Has this changed?  Would the new AC techniques support multiple alternates in a unit?

In reply to Skip's not from this AM (since there was no reply option to access . / only to message) - I would expect operators to go with large lateral offsets early in AC Hz Frac program and even acquire microseismic to better understand frac growth both upward and outward (as well as frac swarm generation). Tweaking completion factors like perf cluster spacing, injection pressure, fluid types (water vs gel vs hybrid) and proppant types / concentration will all impact frac growth. Diverter usage will be a big factor in all this too.

Hate to say it but the "green" movement will get active as this play hopefully starts to expand in this part of the state. Misinformation will abound and "blinders" will be put on by those opposing this new drilling effort.

Thanks, RM.  The architecture of the site allows for only so many replies in a discussion thread.  When we get to the point where there is no reply option, go to the top of the page and post the next reply in the dialogue box immediately below the discussion title.  That will start a new reply count although it does not always work to keep replies in the proper sequence.  The good news is that this indicates a discussion topic with a lot of interest.

One of the ways to push back against the Hard Greens is to provide explanations of how things work pointing out the potential for real concerns and how they can best be addressed while pointing out the false interpretations and scare tactics used to build suspicion in public opinion.  The recent television news report I mention featured a known hard green "scientist" warning about chemicals at a disposal site.  Although I wouldn't want one in close proximity to any residence, the reasons would be traffic, noise and damage to roads, not the chemicals.  Those working at the site would have some exposure risk but it would be low and the industry recognizes the risk and works to mitigate it.

Re: Dion Warr Posting

Could not reply to this posting so having to put this as a separate "new" comment.

The frac stimulation approach in the "new" AC Hz Frac play is geared to fracture the matrix reservoir section and liberate O&G from that rock. Not to go after the natural fractures (that were the key to historical AC play). The use of various frac job additives (e.g. diverters) are used to temporarily "plug up" and natural fractures that are present in the lateral section and "diverting" the frac to the matrix reservoir.

There are posting in other discussions that also address this concept.

BLACKBRUSH OIL AND GAS  finish putting up BlowOut Preventor yesterday, I was told they start FRACKING MONDAY! 

Doug, thanks for update from the field. 

Has equipment started to be moved onto location? Portable tanks?

Any idea where water source will be for frac? Trucks will have be able to supply volumes needed. Any indication of a frac pond? Or lines being laid out to a water source?

Usually operators will let a lateral sit for a bit (a few weeks) to let the cement totally set. I would think that they may run a cement bond log first to evaluate cement quality.

Next few weeks should be interesting!

Rock Man, sorry do not know details, I am sure if they start Monday, everything else will be a go. you have any idea who is there partner, or do they have one ? 

No idea if Blackbrush is 100% on this or has partner

Considering Blackbrush's Texas AC operations, they could very well be investing on their own.  Their prior experience would seem to indicate they do not need a partner from an operational aspect.  If the LA AC follows the pattern of other unconventional basins, many smaller companies will have the opportunity to acquire acreage.  If the play is economic, larger energy companies will buy out and consolidate the proven acreage over time.  The Haynesville Shale in the early days had well over twenty companies drilling exploration wells.  Now there are about ten that control the majority of the proven acreage and the LA side of the play may very well see further consolidation in the next few years.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service