Views: 7299

Replies to This Discussion

You're welcome, Bill.  I wish that SWN had adopted this strategy, if it's what I think it is, sooner.  I would like to see as many test wells as they can fund.  Not just to test the BD but also all the more shallow but still prospective zones and formations across their leasehold. The leasehold covers a large swath of N LA rock that has never seen a penetration to those depths.  That could likely be said for S AR also but I haven't performed any research in the affected counties.

Although I agree that SWN should drill vertical wells in this area to test the prospective formations, I do not think that a vertical in the BD will give much information as to the economics of the play. If the BD was economic with vertical completions folks would have been producing it years ago. The play is based on horizontals being "fracable" and economic due to that scenario.  So far it has not worked out anywhere.  The high pressure Louisiana wells are unique to the play and are not apparently what SWN envisioned originally.  I think they are now just hoping something will save the play...and the many millions they have invested in leases which are going to expire soon. Not trying to be pessimistic, just the way I see it.  I was hoping for a lot more work in Arkansas for the hundreds of landmen and women that are now sitting at home....

The effort to salvage any value from the expansive leasehold assembled by SWN is not limited to the Brown Dense.  The question is prospective targets regardless of formation or depth at this point.  Although the practice is never appreciated by mineral owners, operators may complete vertical pilot holes to establish short term production strictly for the purpose of holding leases  without exercising extension options.  A properly cased vertical well bore can be side tracked in the future for a horizontal completion.  The clock is ticking and there are few alternatives remaining for SWN at this time.  The lack of a JV partner puts all the capital requirements squarely upon SWN.

I think many of us in the business should realize that efforts to prove up the potential of LSBD are not anywhere nearly adequate in number to condemn or prove up the acreage. As many of us stated in the beginning many dozens of wells are needed to evaluate LSBD. I think that well near Walkerville is well located. Maybe that is because it is nearer to my Arkansas acreage. Also, I think operators will discover prospects from LSBD drilling which otherwise would remain unknown. There are numerous productive formations uphole from LSBD. Given the capitol invested, I think many more locations need to be tested.

SWN has been pretty focused on whatever they are working on. By that I mean they have historically ( at least in the last 15 years) tried to get into a play early and accumulate a lot of acreage with a goal in mind.  In the Fayetteville it was obviously only the shale.  Granted they did have a group working on the Hale up hole possibilities but I don't think much ever happened in that regard.  Tom Cassard was working that for a while...Anyway, the BD was to be a Bakken or Eagle Ford clone with an oil window.  It hasn't happened. So for them to now start doing wells with other formations as the focus is out of character.  I don't mean they shouldn't do it, just that it is a whole different ballgame.  If that is the goal they need to try to farm out every acre they can to small drillers. Weiser Brown comes to mind, but there are many others that would love to do some shallow operations.  Can't now because SWN has all the acreage tied up.  By the way this is not unique to the BD. It is happening in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma etc. etc.   Lots of acreage tied up right now in Mega plays...to the detriment of the little guys...my rant for the day....

You're not the first to bring up farm outs and the little guys who would drill them.  Which reminds me how much our BD and AR in general discussions miss The Baron.  He was one of the little guys who knew a lot about this area of N LA and S AR and his posts were very relevant and pointed.  Welcome, Evan.  The Eagle Ford analogy got turned into early comments and opinions that the BD would be equal in productivity.  I tried to point out just what you have pointed out that the analogy referred to a formation with oil, wet gas and dry gas windows.  Your description of SWN operating history rings true but I think that absent a willingness and ability to fund lease extensions this is a race to HBP and acquire science to inform decisions of how to high grade this acreage.  Please feel free to rant anytime.  Keith has no daily limits.  LOL!

Here is a picture of the location being constructed.

http://www.magnoliareporter.com/news_and_business/public_records/ar...

SWN began the frac on the McMahen well today.

SWN ask for permission to flare gas from the McMahen. Also shows completion design and possible pipeline route.

http://www.aogc2.state.ar.us/Hearing%20Applications%20Archive/2013/...

SWN letter to AOGC, 4/22/14.  Click on the image to see the full text.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service