Austin Chalk in Louisiana: including Avoyelles, Rapides, Pointe Coupee, Florida Parishes, East Baton Rouge, Vernon

Horizontal drilling, improved seismic testing,  and liner casing are offering new hope for the deep minerals in parts of the Austin Chalk which runs from near Austin, Texas through the middle of Louisiana to Biloxi Mississippi. 

In 1995, the USGS determined that the Austin Chalk is one of our Nation's largest, onshore domestic unconventional, continuous-type oil resource. More recently, exploration and production in frontier areas of Texas and Louisiana have shown that the Austin Chalk has additional potential as a continuous-type deep-gas resource mostly to the east and downdip of existing oil plays.

Over a decade later, now leasing and drilling activity is picking up in certain parishes of Central Louisiana following improved technologies.

Austin chalk runs from above New Orleans to Pointe Coupee, Avoyelles Rapides and Vernon Parishes

Views: 17977

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Skip......... It looks like we are close to 15 wells permitted or drilling across the trend in TMS, Austin Chalk or Tuscaloosa. This; just since the 1st of the year. I just hope that we have some super wells producing in the near future.
Thanks, Jay.  I was looking to post it where Rapides Parish members would see it.  I'll move it over to the TMS Group.

Austin Chalk well in Avoyelles article a couple days ago :

http://avoyellestoday.com/view/full_story/14906461/article-Oil-and-...

TO:  Skip or Keith,  

I apologize, first of all, for not being able to locate the Dominique well discussion site.

I want information concerning Dominique 27 well, Serial # 243229, permit date 5-12-11.  Production information shows Avoyelles with production and Saint Landry with no production.  Please explain why this is?  What is the outlook for future production in the Saint Landry side of this well/lease site?  Has Anadarko given up on this area or are they waiting for gas price recovery to resume further drilling or production in the Dominique well site?  Thank you in advance for any help concerning this topic.  Hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas and New Year Holiday with family and friends.

TS, the cumulative reported production by parish where all production is assigned to Avoyelles is a quirk of Office of Conservation reporting regulations.  The well's surface location is in Avoyelles although only about 1/6 of the unit acreage is in that parish.  All mineral interests in the unit receive their proportional share of production/royalty regardless of the parish in which their minerals lie or which parish the state decrees shall be credited with production.

As to the production history, it doesn't look good.  That appears to be par for the course as far as Anadarko is concerned in your area.  I don't have any inside information on why the wells are sub-economic nor whether Anadarko has any future plans for the chalk in your area.  I don't think price is the major hurdle.  The well cost versus production is not good.  The Wall Street crowd would state it as a poor ROR (Rate Of Return).  I hope Andarko attempts to improve their well design or finds a capable operator to acquire their acreage.  I started out the New Year with an LSU loss and a hang over.  Things have got to get better.  LOL!  Good Luck to you in 2013.

Shadow,

I agree with Skip. I've said since the first hearing when Anadarko stated they were doing 7 - 8000 ft laterals that that was a mistake. Then as it turns out they have been drilling with over weighted mud. Any mud you loose to the natural fractures in the formation is almost impossible to break later at completion. They have basically used Shale and Sand Drilling technology and techniques in drilling the Chalk. The two are not compatible. 

The Shadow - you may want to join the Austin Chalk group and try your querries there.  some memebers of the group think that Anadarko is failing to make good decisions on their mud design and compeltion design on the Chalk in Louisiana.  Conversly, the same company seems to be making decent to good Austin Chalk wells in Texas.  We aren't sure if the same folks are invovled

dbob,

I might add: I don't understand the disconnect between the group drilling in TX and the group drilling in LA. Its almost like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. 

It will be interesting to see what Pryme does in the Rosewood well. They are about to start the lateral. So if they don't have any more problems we may know what that well looks like by the end of the month. They appear to have worked out most of their technical problems with the well design. Now if they can get a good completion then we might see a "good" Austin Chalk well.

Looks from todays report that they lost 2 cones down hole and are trying to fish them out.

Oooooops!!!!!!!! I would guess that is the well super's fault for drilling the cones off the bit. I guess they were trying to drill the radius before tripping. Oh Well!!!!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Does anybody know if they plan on drilling in Avoyelles parishes are abandon the Austin Chalk here and moving to St. Landry parishes just really quite around here

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service