While observing the 2014 Brown Dense Map,I noticed there's two Fault lines and in between them is a nice size field.Here's my simple and basic question: Is it possible for flow to continue south or does it stay trapped? Thank You in advance, any comments are welcome  

Views: 2632

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow dbob45 thank you for the archived document, I dont know if I triggered something or ? but not only does it help answer my question but it has alot of important "real info'  throughout the years as well. Is it ok to download it ?

Eric - its a USGS publication in the public domain.  The basics of the geology are certainly the same as when that document was produced.  The ability to get some of the unconventional hydrocarbons out of the rock have greatly increased.  

Thank you for your info and I couldn't help but realize there's something preventing the indicated gas(red) from expanding directly south of the unique BLACK LINES as well as creating an empty non active/ non productive area underneath.  

Hmmm... Very informative Skip, so this explains why the new technology is vital to the success of the "Brown Dense Formation' and other shale formations . Depth of the well/play is a major factor in this case.  @jffree1 I do know a Geologist, I will be asking him if he knows' he will probably like to have a cold brew eitherway" This whole subject is very interesting I must say. I will keep watching,researching and entertaining the hope for Claiborne and the "Brown Dense". anythings Possible these days   

Two of Whitings L SMK units are located in Claiborne Parish as is the well that they are currently drilling, L SMK RA SUA;LANGFORD 4H.  It's more than possible, Eric.

Hoping it will be in North Webster Parish

There is a map I recently found that was part of a presentation that was in a Hart Energy article I found on the Brown Dense. It was the best overall view of the trend lines that the play is associated with.  I am interested in what happens on the Mississippi side of the border where AK, LA and MS come together. 

I have attached the map and the actual article it comes out of.  Hope it helps.

Attachments:

I am a geologist and those do appear to be fault lines, they are likely listric type faults, meaning they are near vertical toward the surface and bend down to a horizontal orientation at depth.  You could draw in W-NW to E-SE oriented faults within that fault block parallel to where your field edges are, and I would bet they are there bounding those fields.  I would think these would be individual fault blocks and the production would be individialized within each smaller block.  Its possible that this formation exists beyond that southern fault if that is what you are asking, but I would have to build a cross section to figure that out, its likely much deeper than what is highlighted in red.  If red means gas, it could be out of the hydrocarbon window becuase it is too hot so the gas could be cooked away, or it could be wet.  Typically hydrocarbons migrate up.

Just FYI there are ~3x3 and 1x3 mile faults under the entire continent in an orthogonal set.  Some of these faults go all the way from the Atlantic to the Pacific on a much larger basis.  There are major faults with tens of miles of displacement.  And also I am not crazy, go buy a Structural Geology book if you do not believe me.  The granite, the batholiths, and the andesite/diorites and basalt that underlies the continent was at one time sea floor in large part, the original land was giant immiscible domes that formed the original 'cratons' probably shortly after the planet that then became the moon smacked into the proto Earth like a shotgun blast some 4.6 billion years ago creating mixed densities of fluids that are still cycling and separating today.

The faults here along the coast are listric like I said and exist due to the collision that created Pangea, and the spreading afterward created basins that these sediments filled.  They built out from the continent to the extent we see today.  There are also salt related faults, as the early basin and late basins between the colliding continents were saline, shallow, hot, and rather nasty places to live.  Some may be due to evaporation of the sea prior to the collision, and then submergence allowed shales to stack on top.  Subsequent loading causes the salt to rise, which creates more faulting.

All that said I primarily work in the Permian Basin and have very little exposure to what goes on in Louisinana.

Thank you Tyler and o

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service