Business Roundtable reverses climate stance in new statement 

By Daily Report Staff   businessreport.com  9/16/20

When Congress last pushed for comprehensive climate legislation a decade ago, much of corporate America was either neutral or hostile.

In a sign of how much corporate attitudes have changed, the Business Roundtable, one of the country’s most prominent business groups, is throwing its support behind broad-based measures to slash greenhouse gas emissions, The Wall Street Journal reports.

In a statement of principles released Wednesday, the Business Roundtable said it “supports a goal of reducing net U.S. GHG emissions by at least 80% from 2005 levels by 2050.” To achieve that, it endorses putting a price on carbon. It didn’t say whether that should be through a carbon tax or a system of tradable emissions permits.

The content of the principles doesn’t break new ground—rather, the significance of the statement is that it shows how business is shifting from a source of resistance to a force for action on climate. The Business Roundtable statement represents the consensus of more than 200 members spanning every sector of the economy, from retail, finance and technology to health care, manufacturing and even oil and gas.

When the group last put out principles on climate, in 2007, it didn’t endorse mandatory measures such as carbon prices because of internal disagreement and warned against policies with “unacceptable” economic costs.

Views: 416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to see a list of these "corporations".

George, a simple Google search will produce the list of over 200 corporations mentioned by the Wall Street Journal.  To save you some time, here is a link to that list.  These are well known and respected major "corporations".  I'd like to hear what you think of the "corporations" listed.

https://www.businessroundtable.org/about-us/members

Members of the Business Roundtable represent prominent and well known public companies not only in the US but across the global business world.  I count at least 10 members that are CEOs of energy companies including a least 3 currently developing the Haynesville Shale in NW LA and E TX.  By the current number of views it is obvious this discussion has drawn some interest.  I'm gratified that is the case.  If any GHS member would care to delve further into the specifics of the climate issues and goals championed by the Business Roundtable, there is a section of the organizations website dedicated to the subject. 

Addressing Climate Change

Addressing climate change and its impacts demands a robust, coordinated effort with a sound policy portfolio. Business Roundtable CEOs are calling for a well-designed market-based mechanism and other supporting policies to provide certainty and unleash innovation to lift America toward a cleaner, brighter future.

https://www.businessroundtable.org/climate

Sounds promising! We, as consumers, can help drive the market toward greener solutions with our purchasing power.

I agree, Pam.  Embracing greener energy opportunities will create millions of new jobs, numerous opportunities for entrepreneurs to start new businesses and new career paths for many young people.  It will boost the economy and make America the world leader in green technology.  The business community, writ large, understands and embraces the transition.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service