Class Action Suit May Affect 50,000 Haynesville Shale Landowners

On April 10, 2010 a class action suit was filed affecting Haynesville Shale property owners in all of the Haynesville Fields of north Louisiana.  The suit is filed against the Commissioner of Conservation and operators in the Haynesville Fields.  The basis of the suit is that the Commissioner of Conservation is authorized by statute to establish a production unit that can be drained by one well.  Members within one of the proposed classes are being denied their pro-rata share of production and the other class members are being denied their market value of their leasehold interest ownership.  This may affect some 50,000 property owners in northwest Louisiana!

We have met with some of the attorneys and are pleased with the representation.  The attorneys are class action attorneys Fayard & Honeycutt of Denham Springs; Simon, Peragine, Smith & Redfearn, LLP of New Orleans; Law Offices of Rudolph Estess, Jr. of Baton Rouge (in that office as special counsel is Jack C. Caldwell), Charles Tutt of Shreveport, Cave Law Firm of Baton Rouge, and Ryan Gatti an attorney from Bossier City.  Through our own independent research we have learned that Mr. Caldwell was a contributing author to the Louisiana Mineral Code and also served as Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources.

If successful this would create a tremendous economic boom to this area by creation of many more jobs, not to mention a substantial increase to severance taxes to the state of Louisiana.  We have received per request a filed copy of the pleadings filed in East Baton Rouge Parish.  The suit explains the law and the resulting violation.   Should you desire a copy of the suit please email your request to us at:  www.fairdrilling.com.  You may also wish to contact your attorney or local attorney for the group, Mr Gatti.

Andrew

Views: 6054

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's his job to facilitate the development of minerals under state lands and energy companies would not develop unconventional reservoirs under a one unit/one well requirement. 

a one unit/one well requirement would sure make a crazy patchwork quilt.  The size would be ever changing because technology will always change.

I now have a copy of the Notice Of Judgment And Disposition from the First Circuit Court Of Appeals.  It is in pdf format which precludes my posting it on GHS.  For those who are my "friends" and have my off site email address you can request a copy.  For those who would care to get their copy elsewhere it is Docket #2013-CA-0289.

Group:

As a followup to Skip, one may access a scanned PDF of this judgment by clicking on this link (make sure to have a PDF viewer plug-in).

It is from the FCCA website - Decisions.

Skip:

I am the member who created this discussion back in 2010, however, I have not kept up with the Gatti suit.  This is interesting.  Thank you for the updates!

Andrew

Welcome back, Andrew.

Andrew, I understand that the Supremes have ruled in the Gatti suit.  Has the ruling been published yet? 

Skip:  The ruling has not been published yet.  I've been in touch with one of the attorneys involved and he asks I keep the details confidential for now.

I understand.  Please post the ruling when you can.

Will do.

Skip:

All that is in the record as of current re: Gatti -

http://www.lasc.org/opinions/2014/14C0863_0870_0880_0885_0888.pc.pdf

That matches what I had heard.  Thanks, Dion.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service