Does anybody want to divide up the site between Shale and everything else?

I would like to know if anyone else besides me is interested in a split home page with Shale threads on top, then all of the other banter below in a separate thread section. This separate thread section could still be active where the hot threads go to the top, but they would not compete with the Shale threads. Thoughts anyone? The current tone of the site seems to be non Shale.
Jay

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is simply a matter of priority. The problem seems to stem from having to read, see, or even know that the non professional shale related discussions even take place.
One year ago, I could have cared less about anything other than how O&G's got away with hosein' peeps the way that they were. I understand much more about the business of leasing then I did back then so it is no longer the priority that it once was.

If there is something, anything at all, going on in the world of shale, that is positive for a happily unleased mineral owner, I would love to hear it. You can not create interest or force importance on something that most will never understand nor even care to understand. The professionals on this site , that have given of their time to try and answer all these questions have gone above and beyond, in helping to educate the ignorant. Without question. But for many, they just want to know " How much is my land worth ?"
Most dont need to know how much gamma radiation it takes to turn David Banner into the Incredible Hulk. If we did know, we wouldnt even know how to use the information.

Now that this community has grown into ....a community, it is all shale related if it involves the people of this shale community. To set aside a small part of the community as being more or less important then the other seems to tread on thin ice, IMO. Because how do you choose in a fair manner. If you have two completely separate groups of people, how do you differentiate between BS and Banter outside of the group that is being asked ?

I still say moderation is the key to controling the tone and or direction of a thread. You just have to sacrifice too much of the human element in the threads,IMO. To me thats exactly what makes this site so different from others.

Jay had his own group at one time. JaY the Geologist. He could pick and choose what questions to answer and had more control over thread/tone. It stayed right down the line from what I recall. That seems to be the best solution to everyone involved. Post in correct section/discussion/category/ group.
Try to leave others to themselves if you have no interests in what they are doing. But if you cant stand to be hijacked, dont post it , unless of course you can moderate it.
I second it.
Snake,

Some of us want to discuss gamma rays with out having to watch the see-saw of LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, JERK, JERKIER, JERKIEST. Same song different verse over and over and over again.

THIS IS NOT AM RADIO.

Give the hard core politics a group too. Let them have a free for all.

I've actually learned a lot in the past political discussions when they were civil. I like listening to well presented information, but if that can't be done, so be it.

I've come to see, if you can't handle the heat in those areas, don't go in there. I don't like that it has deteriorated to this, but it has.

The big problem that I see, is these folks then bring it into EVERY other aspect of the site. Heck, you can't hardly exchange a recipe without someone making it a political issue.
Is it mandated that to be on GHS you must read every thread? I didn't think so either. Choose the topics that interest you and live and let live. Don't be pulled into the fracas that others create because they have nothing better to do. It's the bad attention is better than no attention at all thing! Grow up people. This is not middle school!
I imagine poor Keith feels like the beautiful infant that he created last year has turned into an unruly toddler.
I have to say, I've had my share of involvement.

But some people seem to do nothing more than cause tempers to flare.
parker - I agree with that last paragraph. We can put the topics anywhere we want, but the members are free to go where they want, post where they want, and those persons bring their personality with them. And how in the world did a recipe become a political issue? Or was that just a figurative example?

Best - sesport :0)
sesport,

Maybe it would improve if they weren't allowed to spew garbage in a SHALE ONLY group. After all the site is named "gohaynesvilleshale" not "go political bashing" and "go covert pretend drama".
parker - I think you've hit on an idea, a "Trash Talk" group for SPEWING ONLY. Members can do it all they want there, then resume civil conversation in serious/HS related groups. Maybe if a place to spew is provided, it can be vented and the rest of the members would know that's what's going on there, so it would be their option to look and not be taken by surprise. No moderators, nobody would feel compelled to keep it on track, just spew and get it over with. Kind of like when one hammers their thumb and the kids are in the room or the neighbors are within earshot, wisdom says leave the range of earshot to "spew" so it's not done in front of the kids or neighbors.
Sesport,
I have to laugh over that one! We could title the blog the Jerry Springer Show!!!
Mrs. C - I quit watching that show after about 2 episodes as I could see it was going nowhere fast and becoming redundant. Now, using the tools of my trade, perhaps if we give them all assigned chores to "take out the trash" from time to time, it would reduce the trash build up. lol

Glad I could help you with a smile this evening - sesport :0)
sesport,

I don't really care about such, but I would like a Shale group that could not get hijacked.

IMHO, if people couldn't see what was going on in your proposed group, it would loose its attractiveness to the "spewers. After all isn't it ALL about attention?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service