Trinidad Drilling Rig #124 reports "Moving On" the ECA Lawson 25H #1, Section 25 - 1N - 5E, 12/6/13.

Views: 10769

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sorry. Methane and Ethane are lighter than Propane. Propane can be liquefied. I'm not sure Ethane can be removed with that equipment. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks...now I understand enough to be dangerous!

Seriously, thank y'all for the tutorial.

joe, 

well said, sir.

bernell, 

in my very limited experience, some propane, and in some instances, maybe a large %, will be knocked out using a j-t; it all just depends on the composition of the well's gas. however, one of those units isn't going to get much, if any, of the ethane.

fwiw, and, again, in my very limited experience, gas processing is an art as well as a science.

now, this isn't an opinion: the best school in the world graduating engineers in the subject of gas processing is texas a&m, kingsville; you may know/recall it by its old name, texas a&i.  with my praise, did i go there, you may be wondering? nope, not a chance i'd ever get into there, except maybe to bus tables at the mess hall or something like such.

but, back to cases; the beauty of the modern, well designed cryogenic aka turbo-expansion plant is that the operator, depending on ethane prices, can dial things up to the point where essentially nothing but methane gets through. on the other hand, if extracting the lighter fractions ethane and sometimes propane, is uneconomic, he can throttle things back to where the plant is taking a minimal propane cut and almost no ethane cut.

in such scenarios, the plant will be removing just enough liquifiables to ensure the tailgate gas stream meets the quality specifications of the receiving pl. note: the older, lean-oil plants can do a bit of monkeying around with how deep of a cut they can take, but nothing like a cryo can do.

a j-t just allows an operator, in the right circumstances of his gas composition, to get his gas to pl quality specs and to, hopefully, make some on the extracted ngls

jim

Hook-up continues in preparation for flow-back.

Attachments:

The well is on production.

Attachments:

How tall is the gas flare?

From the flare in your picture it looks kinda short - less than 900 barrels  short my guess, but still a good well.

Considering how little dry NG is in some TMS wells, the flare height might not be a good indicator.

It is a well and stuff is coming out...good for you Mr. Lawson!! Congrats!!

I don't think the flare is a good of an indicator as it might be elsewhere, Steve.

First, they are set up to capture and are capturing the "wet" gas from the get go.

Second, there just simply isn't much gas...wet or dry...coming out in the TMS wells this far north, which is both part of the reason they are drilling here to begin with and part of the reason they are putting the submersible pumps on fairly early in the production cycle.

In other words, I'm agreeing with tc in a much more wordy fashion.

:)

I am  thinking of the flare as an indication of pressure rather than quantity of dry or wet gas, so the lower the flare the less pressure the less oil IMO. This has been the case in my observation of prior wells. I know this is not science, but  is only my opinion based on seeing other flares . I have not yet seen a big well in the TMS with a low initial flare or a poor well with a big initial flare and the % of gas has been pretty consistent. I am sure there are some experts here laughing and one or several may contradict my unscientific conclusions - citing their in-depth knowledge and many years of experience. Go for it!

Also, I haven't actually seen the flare on this well. I was just looking at the posted picture and it didn't look to me to be a big flare compared to some I've seen. I hope the well ips at 2000, but from the flare I don't expect more than 900. Still a very good result . I was not intending to be negative about this well.

Any numbers yet?

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service