Fallout From BP Disaster--What About the Other Guys?

So how would you like to be an operator who was minding their own business, drilling a well in deepwater while taking all appropriate safety precautions when you are notified by the MMS that you need to stop, secure the well, and suspend operations? Most wells in deepwater are drilled under long term rig contracts. So as an added bonus, you get to keep paying the rig contract after force majeure is declared. Once again, thanks BP.
Jay

Views: 231

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

86 was price crash for sure, rigs went from 4600 to less than 1000 in US. The oilpatch as a whole will not be near as affected, but from our perspective / offshore / domestic / US only it is the kiss of death. If you have not been through South La. especially Lafayette, Broussard, Houma, Morgan City, Fourchon are going to be worse than 86 as the majority of the income in those areas comes from deepwater drilling, to the engineers / managment in Lafayette, the boat docks, supply, service companies on south. This is going to kill Louisiana, in tax revenue, jobs, etc. Not only in oilfield, but hotels, all commerce etc. Keep in mind each of these rigs has round 300 jobs, rule of thumb is 10 jobs on land to support each one of those, this not counting the layoffs in other industry.
As stated, several of these companies are accelerating drilling programs now in Africa where i am and several will go to Brazil. See the latest reports, from what we are hearing it was human error or inexperience that started this and very poor procedures or worse from Transocean.
Attachments:
This is troubling . . . E&P still can't establish any means to control/contain a disaster such as the Deepwater debacle; so they take their toys and drill elsewhere and will foul up elsewhere just like chemical companies took their facilities and polluted elsewhere.

But, it seems nigh near impossible to ahve an "international" standard or controls or even an emergency response system. Perhaps with the "profits," O&G may consider funding just such . . . But, likely not.
jay, you are usually not far off. i have heard rumor that production in the gulf was being curtailed due to the fumes, can you confirm this? to what extent is this taking place?
kj
May be naieve, but the opportunity to develop
the technology and know how to handle blow outs such as BPs big oops is NOW
thanks for posting that suit. i'm sure there will be many more to come. this suit is going after "everybody" involved. i'm not sure CAMERON, who manufactured the BOP is liable. as i stated previously, the equipment failed because of human error, and lapses in judgement. i think the final tally of lawsuits will be in the thousands, and most of those will be legitimate claims. i hope restitution will be swift and the people who have suffered losses will be compensated fairly.
kj
Robert Kennedy, jr is one of the lawyers. IMHO, this is one to follow
in consideration of the lawsuits, will the "damage" be considered permanent?
i realize no-one has the answer to that question, i just think it;s something to think about, and will, i'm sure have some bearing on the amount and type of compensation the plaintiffs are awarded.
kj
Let the ambulance chasers get to work!!!
Welll, at least someone is
I am with you, Cameron who manufactured the blowout preventor, is probably not actually liable, but the lawyers will probably get to them. From what I understand, the BOP had not been back to Cameron for the proper maintenance. Kinda like a car - gotta keep it maintained or it is not going to work properly. This is taking way too long and is not properly being communicated to the public and authorities. It is just really SAD!

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service