Views: 2068

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Skip,

I spoke with Mr. Sanders and he is having computer problems. I explained your comment and he believes it is a typo and the well will be a directional SMK C well. He thinks the original location would have been in a very low spot.

Thanks, tony. Hope Aubrey doesn't have the same problem that kept him off the site for weeks or was it months? Long time. Things are just about to get interesting. Help him out if you can and don't hesitate to get Keith involved if it looks like a site problem

I think this location for well is based upon topography. This is a very swampy area with a slough near proposed bottom hole location. I almost got stuck trying to get to location a couple of weeks ago via an old logging road. This well will be third one in unit and they have one more proposed. Interestingly, the original Murphy well was permitted as horizontal well initially. XTO re-permitted as vertical. XTO has staked another well in SUG, which is unit my land is in

IS the SMK C the same thing as the LSBD , or LWR SMK as Whiting is calling it?

How many benches dows the SMK have? I know Upper, Middle , lower, but what do the A, B, C, D correspond to in that formation?

Big

Big Little Oil,

Whiting well will horizontal LSBD or LWR SMK. I like Whiting a lot, but wish they wouldn't come in screwing up

formation names. Don't need more confusion.

Being unsure if Aubrey has solved his computer problems, I'll offer my two cents and let him correct me if I don't get it quite right.  The Smackover (SMK) is a conventional reservoir with a long history of production across N LA and S AR.  In our discussions it could be referred to as the Upper Smackover.  The Lower Smackover as the name implies is the deeper portion of the Smackover Group and the deepest portion of the LWR SMK is the Brown Dense.  The term you will often see used is the basal member of the LWR SMK.  Wells penetrating the Upper Smackover are quite common and the number of wells is quite large.  Wells penetrating the Lower Smackover are the opposite which is quite understandable considering it is deep and expensive to drill and has precious little historic production.  The advent of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracture stimulation has made the Brown Dense a reasonable geologic target horizon.  When you see SMK that is the Upper (more shallow) portion of the Smackover group and is divided into Reservoir A, B & C., A being the most shallow, B the next deeper and C a combination of the two when a well is perforated in both. The LSBD is a name we coined here on GHS in the early days of discussing exploration.  It is not used by the state.

Skip:

Like you, I will defer to Aubrey's expertise, but I think he has said previously the "C" formation was when the unit size was increased in the "B" and is from production in the "B" but the "C" is used to distinquish the production from wells that have different unit sizes, ie 80 vs over 300 acres.  Sure hope Aubrey responds soon so we don't get too far out on that branch that might break.

I will attempt to clear up the rhetoric regarding Smackover formation. Having been in NS-RR field since Smackover drilling commenced in early 50'S I can speak with some authority. It is confusing.

The Smackover is overlain by numerous productive zones ranging in depth from 2500 feet to about 10,500 feet(base of Haynesville Sand). The Smackover producing zones have been designated as "A", "B", and "C". In the early days all of SMK zone below base of "C" zone was designated as Basal SMK or later referred to as SMK "D". The designation SMK "D" was co-opted several years to designate the wells which were perforated in both B and C zones and production from 2  zones was co-mingled. Co-mingling of 160 acre SMK "B" units with 320 acre SMK "C" units. I was able to prevent this for several years. Interestingly, I was the only person out of 2 sections who objected to Conservation Office about this. After about 3 years of on again off again negotiations I reached terms with operator to protect family members interests and withdrew my objection to OOC.

For many years production in NS-RR field was from shallow formations and SMKA and "B". About 1980 Jerry Huggs (Huggs Co's) drilled first SMK C well in our area.

To summarize, I believe  everything Smackover below  base of SMK "C" should be designated LSBD. As reference point we found BASE of LSBD at 11,942 feet in the Sanders Heirs well in S12, T23N, R9W. Completed Aug, 2012 by XTO

n,

Thanks for the explanation, Aubrey.  At what depth was the top of the Lower Smackover penetrated in the Sanders Heirs well?

The Smackover well log designations are "A", "B" and "C". Same for drilling permits.

Personally I believe this is more definitive

Pardon my ignorance.  What is the meaning of Smackover RA SUD and

Smackover C RB SUG.  

RA means Reservoir  Basically a field is divided into reservoirs. Each reservoir has continuity of source and all parts of  a  named reservoir are interconnected. If, say, due to geologic boundaries such as faults and oil cannot flow from one area to another additional  reservoir is set up.

SUD  means Sand Unit D. This tells you the name and location of a specific drilling unit. For example, if wells are designated to be drilled on 320 acre spacing then each 320 acre unit is named with a letter.

Hope this is at least clearer than muddy water. 

d

unit D

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service