"Power Bills To The Moon": Chaos, Shock As Electricity Prices Across US Explode

Very Interesting article as how current Polar Vortex is affecting US energy prices

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/power-bills-moon-chaos-shock-elec...

Views: 1370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is hard to imagine!  

This is from the Ercot (Texas) website.
Installed wind capacity – 31,847MW
Record wind generation –22,893MW
Yesterday’s peak generation – 8,087MW
Peak generation so far today –5,350MW @ 1:am—Falling to 2,500MW as of 1:pm
Installed solar capacity – 5,747MW
Record solar generation – 4,798MW
Yesterday’s peak generation – 1,077MW
Peak generation so far to day – 2,670MW @1:pm
Austin Energy says they have had to load shed 1/3 of their demand (all non-essential circuits).
Pedernales Co-op is also shedding.
Looks like we need to rethink this.

If not, there are going to be a lot of generator sales.

What page/link is this on?

Go to ercot.com. then grid (button on top right). then wind and solar integration reports

For solar, go to PVGR integration report.

For wind go to wind integration report.

There are also graphs for each on the links above the reports,

I'm not sure I understand a lot of this article

Glad I'm not a Power Trader

What I do understand, however, makes me real nervous ...!

(And I'm not afraid of anything)

Zero Hedge

Share:

ZeroHedge - Conspiracy - Fake News - Right Bias - Conservative - Libertarian - Not CredibleZeroHedge - Pseudoscience - Fake News - Right Bias - Conservative - Libertarian - Not CredibleFactual Reporting: Low - Not Credible - Not Reliable - Fake News - Bias

CONSPIRACY-PSEUDOSCIENCE

Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.

• Overall, we rate Zero Hedge an extreme right biased conspiracy website based on the promotion of false/misleading/debunked information that routinely denigrates the left.

Detailed Report

Factual Reporting: LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: Bulgaria 111/180

History

Launched in 2009, Zero Hedge is a finance blog founded by Colin Lokey also known with the pseudonym “Tyler Durden,” Daniel Ivandjiiski, and Tim Backshall. According to a Bloomberg Interview the Zero Hedge founders/authors were anonymous until 2016. A Professional Service Subscription is required to read the rest of the interview from Bloomberg, however, a New Yorker article also covered their history.

Zero Hedge wrote a rebuttal article regarding the Bloomberg interview that can be found here. A quote from the rebuttal reads: “Zero Hedge hired Colin when he approached us over a year ago begging for a job after he was fired with cause from Seeking Alpha, following a fight with a co-worker.”

Read our profile on Bulgaria’s government and media.

Funded by / Ownership

The website is registered in Bulgaria under the name Georgi Georgiev, a business partner of Krassimir Ivandjiiski.

According to Rationalwiki the only writer “conclusively” identified is “Dan Ivandjiiski, who conducts public interviews on behalf of Zero Hedge.” The blog generates revenue from online advertising.

Analysis / Bias

In a quote from the above New Yorker article they summarize the political stance of the blog, which Lokey told Bloomberg is: “Russia=good. Obama=idiot. Bashar al-Assad=benevolent leader. John Kerry= dunce. Vladimir Putin=greatest leader in the history of statecraft.”

Zero Hedge’s content has been classified as “alt-right” and has been criticized for presenting conspiracy theories.

In review, Zero Hedge publishes pro-right wing/Trump articles such as Pat Buchanan: “Trump Calls Off Cold War II.” As well as fake news stories regarding liberals: Anti-Trump Protesters Bused Into Austin, Chicago.

Editorial content is written under the pseudonym Tyler Durden and usually focuses on conspiracies related to economic collapse. Zero Hedge sources to factually mixed think tanks such as The Mises Institute, which promotes Austrian (Anarcho-Capitalism) economics. Finally, during the Coronavirus outbreak of 2020, they have frequently promoted false and misleading information as evidenced by failed fact checks below.

Failed Fact Checks (A shortlist of many)

Overall, we rate Zero Hedge an extreme right biased conspiracy website based on the promotion of false/misleading/debunked information that routinely denigrates the left. (8/18/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 10/16/2020)

I saw information from a "legitimate" news source saying about the same thing as Zero Hedge.  Can't remember where.  I also stated that it was "hard to imagine" when I posted the article.   interesting anyway

By the way...Wind turbines can operate in sub-zero temperatures.  Maybe the ones in Texas aren't equipped to handle the temperatures like the ones in Alaska.

It's not the temperature, its the icing.  Just as ice build up on an airplane wing will destroy its ability to produce lift, the buildup on a windmill wing will cause the same effect.  The windmills in West Texas are not equipped with heat strips as are airplane wings.  They would require more energy than the windmill could provide in these conditions.  

Here's what I saw on Bloomberg.  Not sure what any of this means but I do watch the NG prices in the commodities market.  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/natural-gas-skyrockets-again-500-220...

Skip,

I just heard on CNBC that some utilities and some customers could get CRUSHED by spot market prices for NG shooting up thousands of dollars.  It would be nice to know what that means for customers before the bills start pouring in.

JHH, those super high prices per mcf are "spot prices".  Any end user that has not run through their contracted supply is not paying them.  Now if you have X volume committed for a month and use that volume up before the end of the month, you must buy enough volume on the spot market to get through the remaining days of the month until your next monthly contacted volume is reached.  Since we are mid-month now, it is difficult to know whether or how many utilities or other major end user are now out of contracted supply.  If the greater demand/use does not cause the need to supplement supply on the spot market until later in the month, prices will have fallen significantly barring another polar vortex.  I suspect our bills will not only reflect some unknown higher price per mcf used but we will have also used a greater volume.  We can revisit the question in a couple of weeks to see how much of the price spike was passed on to customers, especially residential consumers.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service