Views: 51546

Replies to This Discussion

John, if you can't find a local attorney with significant O&G experience, let me know.  One thing I do when trying to determine if a particular attorney or firm has a focus on O&G is to look over their website.  Law firms will regularly tout the areas of the law they practice.  If O&G isn't on the list, better keep looking. 

Baringer Law Firm has a very big website but I see nothing about oil & gas

In my experience no law firm neglects to list O&G/Energy if it is a pertinent portion of their practice.  Keep looking.

They are not oil and gas attorneys

I have used them only once for something.  If it is allowed to suggest someone using this site, please do.

John EBR

John, referrals are best done through private messages as opposed to open discussion threads.  You can click on any members name and make them a "friend".  Then the two of you can post replies to each other on your member pages.  It is not against the site rules however to post referrals including contact information in the group page discussions, just not on the Main Page.

So, have I been posting in the "group" page.

Yes.  Scroll to the top where Craig started this discussion.

Feb 25th   We know a landowner (80 acres) north of us on Blackwater that said they would not  have anything to do with oil leasing because they are against fracking.  Down the line if the 80 acres falls into a unit and a successful well starts producing,   what will happen with that situation ?

John    EBR Parish

Depends on some details, John.  The state allows companies to "force pool" minerals in a compulsory drilling and production unit.  There is no minimum number of acres under lease required to form a unit.  The state allows economics to rule.  If all 80 acres were included in the unit and the unit was 640 acres in size it might give some pause to an operator but if they thought they could still make a reasonable profit they would go ahead with development.  If the unit was 1280 acres or if the 80 acre tract was only partially encompassed by a unit, it would likely not be enough open acreage to keep a company from drilling.  I won't go into the specifics of how unleased mineral interests (UMI) are treated here because it is complicated and we have blogs that explain it in some detail for those who are interested.  The bottom line is that the driller keeps 100% of the UMI's portion of production until such time as the well pays for its cost to drill and complete.  Then the UMI gets his full share of production less Lease Operating Expense (LOE).

The landowner you mention is against fracking only because he hasn't looked at the facts or is prone to believe the propaganda from hard green, keep it in the ground forces.  All the real scientifically stringent studies have supported a small risk and the fact that actual events of pollution are so small as to be statistically insignificant.  Up here in the Haynesville Shale we are approaching 3000 completed wells and there have been zero instances of fracking causing a problem.

If a lessor asks for a cost free royalty and reduces  the amount of royalty to obtain it, should you still have to pay a portion of the severance and production taxes?

Yes.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service