Trinity Operating created the HA RA SUXX (Haynesville Shale drilling unit for Sections 33-19-14 & 4-18-14) and received state approval for 4 horizontal wells.  Then Trinity drilled the Ramsey Company LLC #1, a vertical Smackover (SMK) well.  So, why a Smackover test?  We've seen SMK wells drilled in HA units before but that was in the very early days of the Haynesville Shale development.  It seemed then that the interest was less in the SMK and more about drilling completely through the Haynesville interval to establish the thickness of the target and to generate science to inform the landing depth of the lateral. 

The 19 North Townships, 16, 15, & 14 West, are considered the northern economic margin of the shale portion of the Haynesville Formation based on earlier wells drilled in the upper half of those townships.  Is Trinity looking at the production potential of the SMK in the Ramsey well?  Or, is Trinity looking to determine that Section 33 has viable Haynesville shale?  I'm sure that mineral owners in HA RA SUXX would like to know.  The Ramsey #1 reached total depth on July 25.

Views: 1621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If those lease offers are consummated, that may be a good sign.  The link between land companies offering leases and drilling managers making decisions is not a close one.  It can take time for leasing efforts to react to drilling schedules.  Keep in mind that Trinity is managing the drilling and testing and USG Properties the leasing.

tHANK you for the additional insight, information.  I'm assuming they still communicate though?  If the Ramsey test indicated poor quality, then they wouldn't continue to lease?  I'm wondering if they had a difficult time tracing the actual mineral rights owner?  Or owners on some properties.  

Just lay Grassroots Shaler pondering.

They are definitely talking. And if Ramsey well has poor results, plug would have been pulled quickly.

So it would seem.  Makes sense but there is still Section 4 - 18N - 14W to be considered.  HA RA SUXX, 4 and 33 - 19N-14W, is a two section unit as are the majority of HA units by Trinity in north Caddo.    The two sections south of 4, 9 & 16 are not unitized at this time.  Trinity/USG could decide in this instance to create a three section HA unit combining 4, 9 & 16.  Or to combine 4&9 in a two section unit.  Time will tell.

Thanks, Jay.  Trinity seems to be signaling that they feel they are near the northern margin of economic shale.

Smart approach getting max NEW data to evaluate play viability. I am sure tax write offs for drilling nonproductive science wells help in the equation.

Agree with ShaleGeo - getting rock info and associated analyses always good for data room / as well as their own evaluation efforts. Modern oriented logs line dipole sonic for stress orientation also a plus to optimize lateral direction. As well as better understand the geomechanics of overall system.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service