Whiting Permitted  #247223  L SMK RA SUA; Langford 4H 001 Horizontal well Sec 4 - 22N - 7W  Claiborne Parish  Vertical Depth 11,581'  MD 18,153'  11/7/2013

Views: 21324

Replies to This Discussion

Good article, Tony. You know what? It does not look like WLL is leaving the area any time soon, and neither is SWN for that matter. We could see an interesting approaching era in N. La and Southern Arkansas.

I haven't seen a log of the closest well to this location but a TVD of 11,600' +/-  is somewhat deeper than the formation in Union Ph. and may indicate they are testing a higher pressure wet gas window.  Personally, I think that's the ultimate key, but we shall see.

Robert, I think that the reason SWN and WLL did not consummate a JV deal was a disagreement over where to invest the development dollars.  SWN was focused on the oil window and WLL preferred to place their emphasis on the wet gas window.  Leasing, units and well locations to date tend to support that scenario.  I agree with you and WLL.  I'd like to see them get busy testing the wet gas window in the new year.

Robert, here is a LSBD well that is at the same depth and is in the same area as WLL's Langford well. I guess the LSBD is deeper in N. Claiborne.

http://sonlite.dnr.state.la.us/sundown/cart_prod/cart_con_wellinfo2...

Tony, I'm trying to pull down a copy of this log with no luck.  Help please!

I haven't been able to get the TIF file yet but I did go back to one of my old guides on oil & gas fields of N. Louisiana  The Whiting well is located on the east flank of Oaks Field, an Upper Smackover stratigraphic trap in the syncline south of Haynesville-East Haynesville Fields.  This is significant because even though the location is within the regional fault trend there is no major faulting in the immediate area, at least not on the Smackover map provided,  Based on the map of Oaks the top Smackover should be reached at about 10,500' MD, and top LSBD at 10,650' MD.

The 1979 writeup says that the deepest penetration in the field is the Ensearch #1 Knox, 36-23N-8W, reached a TD of 11,795' still in Lower Smackover.  A total of 962' of Smackover was logged.  There is a lot of LSBD to evaluate.  

The discovery well at Oaks Field potential of 2.94 MMCFD + 263 BC, gr 55.3* from U. Smackover perfs 10.819' - 10,843. 

Robert

This is a 1974 notice in the Shreveport paper about an Oaks well about 1 1/2 - 2 miles from Whiting well.  May not be relevant but posting anyway. 

Shreveport Times 6/9/1974     Initial performance.  Phillips 66  Blanton #1         8-22N-7W                                                                                                                                                                                              Flow of 810 bbls of 51 gravity oil plus 1,400,000 cu ft gas per day through 14-64 inch choke is the potential.  Flowing tubing pressure was 2663 psi and bottom hole pressure shutin is 5641 psi.  Production is through 8 perforations at 10,632 - 36 ft and 32 perforations at 10,638 - 54 ft.  Hole was drilled to total depth 11,525., with string or 4 1/2 inch casing cemented to 10,970 ft .  Before taking potential well was treated with 2,000 gallons of acid.     Smackover RA SUD : Blanton B    #144795  OIL   

The top of the Upper Smackover is listed at 10,838' in the WH-1 for the Knox #1.  There is no recorded production for the well.  It was spud 5/19/76 and P&A'ed 7/9/76.

Robert,

The Field Order (888-E) establishing the Oaks L SMK Res A unit, in which the Langford 4 H is located, defines the Lower Smackover as that interval seen between 11277 and 11946 feet in the AIX Langford 4 vertical well in the same unit. Another document for this Langford vertical shows the top of the Upper Smackover there to be at 10,480 feet, so your figures were pretty close.

Ha Ha!  Yep, 20' is pretty close.  :)

For those interested in details, the 6-month permit for the Whiting Langford 4 H No.1 well is now in the SONRIS database. The proposed bottom hole location/final penetration point is only 378 feet from the northern edge of the unit and the initial penetration point into the LSBD formation is 1211 feet from the southern edge of the unit, so there should be 6328 feet of lateral within the formation. The lateral will pass within 1/8th mile of both the AIX (now Whiting) Langford vertical well and the AIX Collier vertical well, neither of which is producing, so maybe these wells could be used for microseismic monitoring, as mentioned above.

http://ucmwww.dnr.state.la.us/ucmsearch/UCMRedir.aspx?url=http%3a%2...

The plat is on page 7.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service