Is $81,250 Total Return a conservative estimate for royalties over the life of the play for 1 acre? Or I could use Cheseapeake's numbers and arrive at $142,187.50
IMHO, it is just a tactic. All it takes is someone to run the numbers and see what is what. Aubrey is correct that $30,000 an acre is chump change. There are those that just don't want people understanding, because if they did - no one would ever sign a lease again. There was a time that you would sign a lease to entice them to drill in your unit. Those days are gone for the people on the core of the haynesville. We have a freight train running that can not and will not be stopped. My shoe size would absolutely stop a CV well, but it will not a HA. I am blessed that I did not have to start from scratch to learn about o&g as a whole; software side or hardware side so to speak. I do know that there is a fear of the unknown and those are the area that tactics that are being applied. I don't say that going UMO is easy, you have to know what is what due to the games that they will play. You are doing exactly what is needed and that is to learn all you can. I truly believe you having a hard headed and that is a good thing. Going UMO is not for the faint of heart. You will have to stay on top of the well cost besides the production - no doubt.
RS 30:103.1 — Operators and producers to report to owners of unleased oil and gas interests
A. Whenever there is included within a drilling unit, as authorized by the commissioner of conservation, lands producing oil or gas, or both, upon which the operator or producer has no valid oil, gas, or mineral lease, said operator or producer shall issue the following reports to the owners of said interests by a sworn, detailed, itemized statement:
I have to add that even if you are leased it is prudent that you do have to watch the production side of this. Royalty Interests do/will be get screwed just as the UMO. There is a lawsuit right now in OK for XTO screwing people over their royalties. These are people that signed a lease in good faith to receive their royalties without any hassle and are having to fight for it now.
See 103.2 It reads that they have 90 days to send and then 15 day additional from your sent cert request. So the question is do you send on the 75th day? Knowing that they are going to hold out as long as possible. In other words you send on the completion (potential), they are still going to wait the 90 days............
Earlene the barefooted UMO
If I may say, all of this makes planning for the future rather difficult. I have hired a professional firm in Baton Rouge to determine the value of my interests but have yet to hear from them.