Has anyone received a royalty check ? If so, how soon after the completion of the well did you receive the check?

Views: 437

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, kcripper and frederick.
Fredrick
Is that a Cotton Valley well?
How do you know if the land that you leased will be drilled on?
Hi, I'm new to this site and this discussion. Honestly, I know practically nothing about this, I inherited a small amount of land in DeSoto Parish. I signed a lease in July. How do I keep track of what wells have been placed on my portion of land? I really need to be more informed: what are the best ways to stay informed? Any advice is appreciated!
I feel the same way as Emmy. Any info. would be appreciated!
I have the info from the lease: section 4, T10N-R12W, etc., what do I do with that information?
Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it.
SONRIS is the best place to see the activity in any area.
No, but I have been informed that the production of a well in which I am participating has produced slightly over 6 million cu ft of gas per day. I am trying to figure out about how much I will receive based on this production and my 25% participation in this unit. It may be more appropriately to give me some indication how these pay-outs are figured on a certain amount of daily production.
I just went through this with my parents. It's a good question with a tricky answer. Basically, computing income is fairly straight forward:

Daily production * (your percentage of a section) * (your royalty percentage) = gross daily production you will be paid on

gross daily production * (current wellhead price) = gross daily income

gross daily income * (.35 or .36) = after tax income (at least until Obama changes the tax code for depletion allowance)

The tricky part is "well head price". The royalty calculator at geology.xxx is useless. The unit price the calculator refers you to (price per 1000 cubic feet) component is actually the Henry Hub spot price. This is not what you will be paid. You can assume (and I'll let others comment here) that the wellhead price will be somewhere between $.50 to $1.00 less than the spot price. The actual rate is very dependent upon the company you are doing business with as well as whatever oddities are associated with your well.

So, if you want to truly get a handle on future cash flows, you need to chat with someone in your area who already has production with the same company and see what they are getting at the wellhead. Also keep in mind the declination rate of the well - e.g. - at the end of the first year your 6 million cfd well will go down to 1.2 million cfd (80 % decline, depending upon who's guesses you buy into).
Correction ...

The following is incorrect:

gross daily income * (.35 or .36) = after tax income (at least until Obama changes the tax code for depletion allowance)

It should be:

gross daily income * (1 - (.35 or .36)) = after tax income (at least until Obama changes the tax code for depletion allowance)

Sorry about that ...
Let me educate everyone. Not that I am an expert, but I am a geologist that has been drilling in South Louisiana for 35 years. When a well is tested it is usually for a short time (say 24 hours) and can be vented to atmosphere (state only allows venting for a short time). When a well is put on production (into a pipeline, exploration companys do not store gas) it usually takes 2 months to receive a check. It usually takes longer for the first check (they have to set up a pay deck or might have to survey the unit). Some wells have been on since June so people are receiving revenues. Checks will decrease in value quickly because gas prices have gone from $14 to $4 and decline rates for the HS are rather steep, at least 85% per year.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service