Haynesville Shale & GHS Members Highlighted: "SHALEIONAIRES" on 60 Minutes this Sunday Evening

"SHALEIONAIRES - While some complain that extracting natural gas from shale rock formations is tainting their water supply, others who have allowed drilling on their property are getting wealthy and becoming "shaleionaires." Lesley Stahl reports. Shachar Bar-On and Meghan Frank are the producers."

The link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/07/08/60minutes/main13502.shtml

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was approached by the producer, Shachar, to assist in locating individuals for this segment. Some of you may have spoken to Shachar, or other producers, as well. Because of our assistance, the residents of NW Louisiana will be represented on this segment to its 13 million viewers. 60 Minutes airs Sundays at 7 p.m on CBS. ET/PT. Check your local listings.  

Among those interviewed for the segment are Northwest Louisiana residents CB Leatherwood and Mike Smith, who are actually cousins. The 60 Minutes crew spent a day at the Leatherwood residence interviewing both Mike and CB at the same time. If you have seen the Haynesville Documentary, you have seen Mike Smith. Mike was one of the three whose Haynesville story was featured in that documentary.

I spoke with CB shortly after the interview and he told me that he was impressed and pleased with the 60 Minutes crew finding them, “down to earth” and “real nice.” CB's goal was to show them southern hospitality during their visit. And of course, that means good food.

On a Sunday in May, an assistant producer, out of N.Y.C., showed up to screen the couple to see if they adequately fit the profile of what they needed in the segment. When the producer arrived at the Leatherwood’s home, fresh coffee cake and coffee were waiting to be had.

Toward the end of the screening (and coffee cake), CB informed the producer that she could probably find folks that had done “better” (made more money) on the Haynesville Shale. “I didn’t think we’d actually get selected,” Leatherwood added.

[Editor's Note: The producer's found CB a great story teller]

Selected they were and a CBS caravan showed up on the day of the interview with videographers, photographers and producers in tow. It was a typical hot and muggy summer day. The crew got busy and as CB puts it, “they took pictures of everything! Chickens, cats, dogs, mules…everything.”

Lesley Stahl, who would be conducting the interview, showed up to their Sabine Parish home in a chauffeured Lincoln Town Car. After Upon entering their home, Stahl promptly asked, “may I use your restroom and borrow a can of hairspray, I’ve been on a drilling rig all day.”

Welcome to showbiz.

Views: 799

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has anybody given thought that regardless of anything else one positive thing that could come out of this is national reconization of the largest natural gas find in the U. S. This could cause people to invest in natural gas related stocks that could drive the price up which we really need. We could afford to buy our drinking water by the truck load.
You're right, Dan. Hopefully, viewers heard that message even if it was about halfway subliminal - the U.S. could and should become more self-reliant, in my opinion. Nothing being produced that requires the extreme effort involved in drilling is going to come without danger. All the regulation in the world isn't going to mean no more potential for bad situations happening but I think we need to weigh the possibilities, do everything we can to lessen the danger and do the best we can to stand on our own two feet.
energy production is dirty. end of story. you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, no matter how often the "green renewable" crowd insists otherwise.

plenty of folks are already investing in american natural gas, the importance of which will only become more obvious in the future, despite efforts from the sort of people who produce thinly veiled eco-terror pieces like 60 minutes.

i suppose the greenie weenies would rather energy production (and the jobs that go with them) shift to other parts of the world with low incomes, and little to no oversight. do they think foreign production will be inherently more responsible and clean? ha.

ethanol from corn is straight up insane. solar and wind energy are marginal at best, and electric vehicles might as well be little coal fired stoves chugging down the road. these are the worst type of un-economical "feel good" projects that would collapse from their own inefficiency the instant taxpayer support is withdrawn.

when the message from 60 minutes is at least 3/4 negative, i don't see how people can say it's a net positive for shale gas, even short term. in the long term however i think the green crowd will get run over by reality. eventually. they're not going to go quietly, this is just the beginning.
Burning water.

Daddy built the cabin at Lula in about 1973. I remember him watching Watergate on TV when we came in for lunch out of the hayfields. He fed it from an old water well that was about 200 feet deep. Daddy used to get a kick out of lighting the kitchen faucet when it coughed up gas. The flame briefly went up to the top of the cabinets. I had to replace the old well when the casing broke in 1989 when I moved back to look after Momma. I put a seperator tank on the new one to vent gas off and could still light the flame in the kitchen when it bucked. This was a 220 foot deep water well. Haynesville, CHK, horizontal drilling, and fracking were words we never heard back then.

I bet I could flame the empty casing on that new well right now. BS on the shale making water burn. Mother Nature does that.
That is so funny - I bet your mom did not think it was funny - same with the boys at Negreet High - I am sure they thought it was a real kick to light the faucets at school - but you are right - mother nature provided the gas in the water but hopefully it is a sign of her bounty that is buried a little deeper than the water wells.
After watching 60 minuets...I felt that they were reporting "old news."
While the questions were on target and informative, I felt the media brought some negative tones to the entire drilling process. Negative past issues are and have been resolved. With new technology..so to speak..and different geological formations..different from shale..offers something a bit different. So,
I am hoping the media doesn't bring negative aspects to new and different formations. Seems like after BP everyone is questioning the enitre O&G process; while before is was quiet. Just don't want the wrong put out there.
The points I liked was when Aubrey said there there two Saudi Arabias worth of NG in America. It was a not a perfect piece for anyone - I can assure you that anti fracking blogs are mad CBS did not go far enough. The fact that 60 Min is catching flack from both sides tells me they did their job as reporters (mostly)

I believe the general public will see NG as a huge opportunity that still has some technological/environmental problems. That's about how i see it too. The first and closing quotes were all about how NG could help our nation become independent. I thought Shreveport came off very favorably.

Many years ago I used to be a statehouse lobbyist. From a political standpoint, the 60 Min show was good. If both sides think they favored the other one then the producers have done their jobs as journalists. Lesley never intended to be a cheerleader for shale but she were not interested in condemning it either. It reached a lot of people and they will be receptive to more information.

Other networks may hopefully follow up with reports and there will be chances to correct errors. if you don't want to talk to them then send them to me. This issue is important to America's future. If you really believe that shale gas can be an economic boon to the US then you owe it to write letters to the editor, write your congressman, write cbs, the epa and anyone else in a position to influence oil and gas.

I also want to collect links about old photos showing methane and water and fire. Any old new paper scans would be great. I want to make a page showing how this particular dramatic problem has been happening for a long time. If anyone has a link to old photos I'd appreciate you sending it to me.

Logger
By the way, if there IS methane in your well water, it doesn't smell like the natural gas you buy from the local gas company. The smell in commercial natgas is a chemical they add. You can have a deadly concentration of methane gas coming out of the the faucet, and not smell a thing.

Sometimes, it will smell if the methane is mixed with hydrogen sulfide or other chemicals, but pure methane is odorless.
Thanks for the article, it is so interesting!
The NY Times article was from 1884.
The report was generally excellent, thanks to the nice fellows they interviewed. I do not see any value of posting the possibility of water hazards for the public to develop opinions on; something that is an unusual occurrence and of which they have no general knowledge. My son in law is a chemical engineer who does environmental work for an oil company and overall, I think oil companies are very aware of hazards and risks. I would have
preferred that they would have pointed out more benefits of natural gas- such as local government agencies already adapting their trucks to run on it. W.G.B.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service