Anadarko Petroleum Corporation is selling all of its interest in 271,000
net acres in Avoyelles, West Feliciana, Point Coupee, & St. Landry Parishes
Louisiana

Views: 4096

Replies to This Discussion

Mark P,

First, the chalk is 1000+ ft thick in the area below the shelf. It is very fractured because of regional and lateral faulting. The problem that APC encountered is those wells are in the oil window with very little gas drive and they are running over-weighted mud while drilling long laterals (+/- 8000 ft) and thus "mudding up" the formation. To compound the problem They and Pryme have done little to no formation stimulation to this day. No massive acidization (1000+ bbls) and/or a Gravel/Sand pack or a "slick water" treatment. They have basically used sand and shale technology to drill and try to produce the chalk. That you just simply cannot do. If you have read the article about Dennis Phelps in the Texas Monthly and his approach to unlocking the Permian Basin oil then I think you can see the possibilities here in Cenla and the Southeastern Part of the State as far as chalk is concerned. While the formations are not the same they are similar. In the case of the Basin that appears to be a faulted/naturally fractured limestone. In this area we have a chalk that is thick, faulted and naturally fractured. It also contains massive amounts of oil in the voids. Personally, I see NO reason why these wells in this area of the AC are not "Barn Burners". They should come in at a rate of at least 1000 bbls per day and last 40 years. That has not happened with either APC or PYM.

After checking the oil and gas clearinghouse website and seeing that the results of the recent sale weren't too productive, I'm reminded of a line or title on an Elton John song, "Where to now St Peter?"  Especially after looking at the results of the TMS wells in Avoyelles how can we be in this position?  I also believe the current comments that the wells are being done the wrong way.  Gee some reassuring words would be helpful now!

It does appear if nobody wanted the acreage. "where to know" I'm thinking when leases expire someone will pick a spot, lease a small amount of land, give it a try, and hopefully hit. I can't believe that with the IP Lacour 43 achieved that this is over.

Craig,

You are correct. They did not get any offers that they would accept. Or maybe they got no offers. Who knows. Now it appears that they are open to any offers on an open basis.

The thing about the IP on the Lacour 43; they did not support the formation with a sand/gravel pack or "slick water" treatment and they over produced the well and collapsed the formation on the wellbore. That's my opinion and the info I got from locals. The IP was for PR to make a statement. That is poor well and production management and just plain stupidity and greed. As I've said before the AC is not a sand or a shale. Its an entity unto its self and it has to be treated with "kid" gloves.

As far as someone coming in after the leases expire. I don't see that happening. The ideal situation if someone is interested in the chalk would be to pick up these leases from APC. They have already done the leg work and that's a big cost of the leasing process. 

I don't know about the chalk, but I could see Goodrich interested in the TMS in the Pointe Coupee or West Feliciana where they already have a position and EOG could be interested in the Avoyelles acreage if they like what they saw in their TMS wells.   Of course this all depends on lease terms and prices.

The TMS will be even better in Pointe Coupee. They just have to dive in and get past the cost of the deeper depths there. There is more oil there and its thicker.

You write with authority.  I agree the TMS is deeper and that alone will cost more to explore.  But better oil, on what basis do you come up with that conclusion?  Sounds good but is it true?  I certainly hope so but . . .  Nobody is rushing in to develop it.

Chip,

I agree with John. Its my understanding that the formation is thicker and has more porosity and is more calcareous to the South but deeper. Also, the formation splits. There is an Eagleford section directly under the Austin Chalk and the TMS is directly above the Tusc. with Eutaw in between. What I don't understand is why there has been no exploration South of the Lane well in either the Eagleford section or the lower TMS section. That well appears to be the South limit of the exploration at this time and I don't understand why. My only rational is that the Companies are following the TX Eagleford model and expecting the deeper formation to be gas rather than oil. It would be interesting to have a little more gas drive in these wells and that could make them more productive.   

There is oil down there and everyone knows it, what is the problem? I know the deeper depths mean more cost but it is not like shooting in the dark.

Joe and Craig, I like your enthusiasm but it ain't happening.  It has not happened in the life time of my grand father, father and now me.  Same land, same location, many different leases over the years.  Improvements in seismic technology.  Improvements in drilling techniques.  Still no producing oil wells.

No one gives me an explanation as to why all leasing in West Feliciana is TMS and in Pointe Coupee is Austin Chalk.  At low water, the Mississippi is not a mile wide and that's what separates Pointe Coupee from West Feliciana.  And, yes, we know the Edwards Shelf runs through Pointe Coupee.  We know about deep gas.  And we have producing oils in Livonia, Frisco and Foudoche.  And we understand that Anadarko screwed up LaCour #43.

Goodrich is great but it seems to me to still be in Mississippi and not in Louisiana.  Perhaps 30 miles as the crow flies from Pointe Coupee.  But as yet we ain't no Golden Meadow.

Hate to be negative.  But nothing is happening.

Mississippi has a more favorable tax structure for exploration. They win!

Land title in the countys I have worked in Mississippi is a nightmare. If tax structure is a major factor then why are more wells drilled in Louisiana than Mississippi? Goodrich has a well in the plans for  South Concordia Parish. If the well comes in at 3000 BOPD in Concordia, where do you think the play will move to? BOPD trumps everything.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service