Chesapeake Energy Earnings Call, Second Quarter 2008

Author: Albena Toncheva
123jump.com
Last Update: 4:38 AM ET August 26 2008

Excerpt from page 2:

"Last week there was an announcement of a transaction in the Barnett that valued non-producing high quality Tarrant County leaseholds at more than $50,000 per net acre.

If it happened in the Barnett, it will happen in the Haynesville over time."

http://www.123jump.com/earnings-calls/Chesapeake-Energy-Earnings-Ca...

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, I am all for everyone getting the most out of this shale gas but still there will have to be pipelines laid and the infrastructure to transport all this gas will have to be built. This will take time and I read today that drilling companies can't find trained workers to man these high tech rigs. I know these oil companies will get rich from this and hopefully the money will flow down to the working people. It's just not going to happen tomorrow. I am dreaming along with the rest of you.
I keep hearing of a possible value of $50 thou per acre and I agree that what lies under our land should make our lease money be worth at least that, but if the CEO of CHK says that $30 thou an acre is chump change, Who is getting $30K - not us here in N Spt. If CHK thinks they are paying $30K per acre and most of us are not getting near that amount, who is getting that money???
If Shreveport is setting the bar at 25K for all city owned land to be future leased, then let's see what happens with the amount of interest the oil and gas companies have in that play. I am shopping a lease in South Desoto, and seems like the players want to keep it pegged between 12K and 17K, with very little give. Obviously, if Shreveport gets what they want, superior locations should move up quick in price.
What do they say, "opinions vary".
msva- I have the same perspective that you do. I think what leads me to this perspective is looking beyond the initial land grab and understanding that this is something that will develop over years, not months.

Regardless of what spooky stories get told by those who make a living off of leasing people's land, it's not going away. I think probably the wisest thing that any landowner could do right now, even if it is only one acre, is to become as educated as possible on the whole process and ultimately make an informed decision when the time comes.
Barkley, hind sight is 20/20 and looking back now, it appears that the time to really start trying to get $30-50,000 per acre was back around Feb-March of this year. But, since 98% of the landowners didn't have privledged information on the HS, the land grabbers were getting land for $100-300 per acre and the only thing that forced it up was information from this site and other sources that spread the word quickly and got a little ahead of the curve. Unfortunately, the major players had already taken many landowners by surprise and had rounded up enough acreage to scare others into thinking that they were gonna miss out, which is when the strong arm tactics started.

Now, for the past 6-8 weeks, things have slowed down and they have focused on the outlying areas, Sabine, Red River, central and south Natchitoches, east Webster, far north Caddo and Bossier, using the same tired old tactics, "Ya'll had better sign for next to nothing or we are gonna take our rigs and leave and ya'll will be poor, broke and left out", and once again, in many cases it has worked.

As many have figured out, alot of these companies are just getting signatures so that can take your land, flip it to someone else and make them some money off your land, for nothing but getting your signature. It seems unfair and unethical at times, but then the majors don't complain because they do the same thing, just look at CHK, they are flipping land holds all over the U.S., in Pennsylvania, Arkansas, and everywhere else that they can make a buck. They don't care if they sell the China, Iran, Russia or whoever as long as they can lease, build up, glamourize and then sell for profit; so why would they have a problem with crooked land men or shady companies coming in here and stealing peoples lease rights, they are the one's that are gonna buy them, hold'em for a while and flip'em.

They will hold anything that is in the sweetest spots and make them the most profit and they will use propaganda and local media to build up and make everything else they have under lease look great to perspective buyers and then, they'll flip the land they don't need as much or that they can't get on to drill before the leases run out.

They do have alot of land and probably already have more than they can drill on in several years, but it's like having too much gold, if you can't turn it all into coins or jewelery, you can still sell it as rough gold cause it's still GOLD. And since CHK is controlling most of the media and land, they will bend and shape this play to their best benefit and make money off of it from various angles.

One thing they are doing as far as drilling as many holes as they can is to drill in 2 units at a time, a few hundred feet from each other, and in some cases, the rigs will be close enough together to share the same location site, this will tie down 2 sections every month or so, then when they get 20 or so rigs working, it will be 10 units a month times 12 = 120 or so a year. If the play is as good as they think, they'll know much more in a year and the rig count will go up. They will drill near unit corners in each unit, get 1 producer in a unit to hold it by production and move to another unit, this way 1 well per unit is all they will need for awhile. They will permit the unit for horizontal in the HS but that doesn't mean they have to drill the horizontal on the first hole, it's just permitted to; they can come back and drill the horizontal later as it is rumored they will do on the Messenger well in Natch. parish. That way, they can drill just the vertical, down to about 11,500 ft. into the HS zone, produce enough from the zone to hold the lease and move to another unit; it is much quicker to drill the verical to the zone than to drill to total depth including the horizontal. They might would rather complete it all rather than move the rig and have to come back, but, they could use this method if they need to in order to get more wells drilled an
Man I total agree with what you are saying. They will tie up all they can by HBP with veritcal wells. And move on. This is one reason that I have not signed. Right now I maybe making all my neighbors rich by possible giving them the oportunity to release in 3 years if a well is not drilled in my section/future unit. I am going to hold out to the bitter end for as much signing bonus as possible with progressive royalties as well(s) pay out. If I go non consent that is fine with me, I already have several acres that are leased two and half Years ago at $125 per acre, 3/16 royalty and no PUGH clause that gives the oil company to right to drill to China, Saudi Arabi, Abui Dabi or however deep they are willing to bore a hole, they even have a two year option. I promise that they are no longer dealing wth a fool. If you want the right to drill on what I have left you will have to pay for that right. Go ahead and drill on what you have already leased. Royality payments on a good well and pay check form regular job will make me extremely happy for now. JUST WHEN YOU ARE READY TO DRILL ON WHAT I AHVE NOT LEASED BRING YOUR CHECK BOOK AND A PEN WITH ALOT OF INK, CAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO NEED IT. PATIENTLY WAITNG FOR UNLEASED LAND TO BE NEEDED.

P.S. I wonder if you ever considered to bore a hole to Saudi and suck the oil out from under them. Just how bold can you get drill bit and stem. LOL
With all the talk of CHK glamourizing shales in Okla and Ark so that they can make a quicker buck by selling off percentages of their leases in those areas, is it not possible that they are only glamourizing this area for the same reasons? Or is this play truly as monumental as they are saying?

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service