Just wondering if any of you Geologists out there would be willing to give your opinion on the Earth's age - especially if you are a believer.

I'm NOT trying to start a religious argument here - just curious.

For what it's worth I'm a christian who tends to believe the Earth is billions of years old and I am curious to know if there are any geologists or geologically knowledgable people who disagree with that outlook.

Thanks,

Les

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

My Favorit is the Da Jesus book!!
You bet!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/boardvsteachers.html

this was very interesting.... I happened to catch the whole thing!
What about the gnostic gospels?

http://www.msmagazine.com/spring2006/mary.asp

and then there is the question of whether Mary Mag was ousted by John covered with years of smear campaign...

http://www.passionofmarymagdalen.com/pages/Did%20you%20have%20to%20...

Girl Power!
John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Truth is all relative.
actually, you might want to reconsider that feeling...

THE ALLEGED RELATIVITY OF TRUTH.

So why, apart from a misplaced appeal to Einstein's authority, do so many people - many Postmodernist philosophers included - insist that truth is relative?

To claim that truth is relative is to claim that the very same statement can be both true and false, depending on one's point of view.

Ironically, most of the reasons given for relativism stem from the fact that it is a simple, objective, truth that different people may differ from one another in the ways they perceive or conceive the world about them, and may differ, therefore, in the beliefs they have about the world.

Your assertion was cast down before Jesus existed in human form:

SOCRATES' REFUTATION OF PROTAGORAS.

Socrates, who cared deeply about truth and was contemptuous of those who used words in careless ways, did much to expose the sophistical nature of Protagoras's reasoning. As portrayed by Plato in his dialogue Theatetus, Socrates refuted the notion that all truth is relative by means of a number of devastating criticisms:
* On Protagoras's own argument, truth is relative not just to man but to any sentient being whatever, even a tadpole.
* Protagoras, on his own showing, is no more of an authority about the nature of truth than is any other man, or even a tadpole.
* If everyone is equally right about what is true, then no-one is ever either ignorant or mistaken in his opinions.
• If everyone's opinion is true, then so is the opinion of anyone who says that Protagoras's opinion is false. Hence the doctrine that all truth is relative is self-refuting.

RELATIVISM IS SELF-REFUTING.

The simple fact of the matter, of course, is that relativists who assert the truth of
(11) All truth is relative
really want us to believe that (11) is not itself a relative truth (since then it would have no more claims to being true than to being false) but an "absolute" (i.e., an objective) truth. They really want us to believe that all truths other than (11) are relative. But if all truths other than (11) are relative, then (11) is not true after all. Rather, it must be false.

hope this helps everyone!!!
Bad boy..... ;)
So does that mean that Bigfoot is real?
The simple fact of the matter, of course, is that relativists who assert the truth of
(11) All truth is relative
really want us to believe that (11) is not itself a relative truth (since then it would have no more claims to being true than to being false) but an "absolute" (i.e., an objective) truth. They really want us to believe that all truths other than (11) are relative. But if all truths other than (11) are relative, then (11) is not true after all. Rather, it must be false.

Don't tell me that Bigfoot has target 11 stuck on his back? I have believed in Bigfoot since I was a kid, hell I think I saw him at the Boy Scout camp back in the early 60s down on Spring Creek.
Mooncookie is the deep person, I am the redneck, we could debate the rights and wrongs of whoever from now on but Quoting those from the past is like Quoting Barney Olfield, for the race that will be run today.
"Science is as close to truth as we are likely to see". Agree.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service