Convert your car to NG now! Get the auto NG market started now!

Updated 10/8/2008 --

I've decided that we need to get the NG market started NOW in NW Louisiana. Presently, the NG Phil'ing stations are limited on the roads, so for right now, we need to add the NG conversion onto our vehicles and to be able to temporarily switch back to gasoline for longer trips >250 miles. This trip length also depends on your gas mileage (make that NG mileage!). For starters, I have seen a $2000 price tag only on the "net" for a NG conversion kit for vehicles. I am not sure that people realize that even someone with a larger SUV getting 20mpg can recoup this money in ~16 months (assuming NG from a home natural gas line is $1/gal-unit, cost of gasoline=3.50/gal, and their annual mileage is 15,000 miles/yr). Then their "gas" savings will really kick in. A better gas mileage vehicle recoups this expense even quicker. It's already a good investment for any vehicle that you're going to keep for 3-4 yrs!

Stuff we need to find out...
1) The natrual gas home Phil compressor unit can be installed in the garage and fills from your house gas line. I've gotten 1 price so far for this item. One can be bought from a company in Baton Rouge and they have 1 certified technician. Price:$4500 + installation @$1000-1500. Another price was seen listed by Consumers Report of $3900 and $500 to install (article written 2006). Tax credits available: state = 20% of total cost => $1100-$1200 of the $5500-$6000 mentioned first from Baton Rouge. Federal tax credit = $1000. This offsets the total cost to ~$3800. The Consumer Report price would be offset to $2600. So still researching this ...

2) Where can one buy a conversion kit to add NG capability to our vehicles AND who are the local mechanics who can add these conversion kits onto cars and trucks (gas & diesel). One price seen for this was $1900 for a large car (ie, 8 cylinder car) , $2200 for the tank, and $1500 labor (although my post farther down states this job takes 1 day and I am surely not paying a mechanic $150/hr) . Still researching this too. No local mechanic found so far. I'm not sure about any federal tax credit for this conversion. The only info I have seen so far says... a "bi-fuel" vehicle is not eligible for the tax break of 30% of the conversion cost. It may be proposed for 2009 though. I do not think I want to go straight CNG cold turkey just yet because the "PHIL'ing stations" are nonexistent in this area. We'll have to be able to switch over to gasoline for a couple years or so. Write/call your reps and senators to push such bill!

Anyone with names, phone numbers, &/or urls to answer
any or all of the above, please write in!

Drivers...start your engines... and let's start 'em with NG!

Tags: NG mechanic, cng, convert to NG, natural gas, phil

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two Dogs, I concur. I believe within the next 2-3 years you will see a major O&G company (Shell, BP or Chevron) jump on the bandwagon and begin adding CNG fuelling to select service stations. They would probably target select upscale areas with a high environmental culture (San Francisco, Southern California, Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc).
I JUST DONT SEE IT HAPPENING , TOO MANY PEOPLE IN BAD SHAPE , MAYBE IF IT WAS AROUND $300 MAYBE BUT NOT AROUND HERE WHERE I LIVE , EVERYBODY POOR
"EVERYBODY POOR"

That would be more incentive to make the change. While the initial investment may seem high, the long term benefits will allow people to save money. One can either do nothing, and expect nothing to change, or make a valid attempt to improve, and enjoy the rewards of their efforts. Change may not always easy, but sometimes it becomes a necessity.
yes i agree but when a person only can live payday to payday or on a fixed income , what than , get a loan ? it will be great if we all could switch
Old Hillbilly, this is the reason it is critical for politicians to create the economic incentives (ie subsidies) to address the cost of replacing vehicles with ones using alternative fuels (CNG, electric, etc).
thats scares me , politicians are why we are in this problem now , but thats a story by its self .
I wonder if the government isn't encouraging home fueling of CNG might be due to tax collection issues?

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service