Hi everyone,

Both my HS properties have been force pooled. The larger tract is in one of two newly force pooled units of 640 aces. The smaller tract is in one of six new units that were originally proposed as 720 acres, but I've since gotten notice of an amended application to increase the unit size to 955 acres. Obviously, this decreases my percentage in the unit, so my instinct is to not be pleased by this.

Is there any potential upside to having a unit's size increased? (For example, might there be more wells drilled in it?)

Is there a relationship between depth of proposed wells and unit surface area? Why do some units get upsized in surface area, but not adjacent units?

Thanks,
CaddoKid

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You set up the Unit, then you designate a unit well. Drill and confirm the Gas is there, then add your Alternate Unit Wells ect. See, you are getting upset over the thought that a unit is a one well deal. A unit should be looked at like a Motor, one spark plug will run it but you won't get what you expect out of it. Put an additional 7 plugs in and it will run as it should. It is not in the Gas Companies best interest to just run it chugging along, there is too much spent to get the gas to market. Pinelines, production Facilities, ect. If you had to spend the money it cost to get one well up and running, would you not drill additional wells now that you have the pipeline and facilities in place? John
The key to unit size is that with that ONE WELL a company can hold ALL of the unit acreage as HBP and then come back later and drill the other wells. It makes a huge difference when a company has leased a lot of acreage and sees the need to reduce their level of capital spending so that they hold as much acreage as possible with the fewest number of wells and limit the amount of acreage they will lose when the primary term expires (and they need to re-pay bonuses).

Whew...6 lines of type with only two periods...that's one heck of a run-on sentence!
Thanks! I think! If by pellucid you mean clear, then thanks! Engineers aren't always known for our vocabulary, just number crunching!
M....k and de nada,

I have to agree wholeheartedly with you 2. Not that the other posters dont make good points but at this early stage of the game it isnt about conservation and fully draining a section with one well. The market isnt here yet to sustain huge increases in production.But their market cant stand re-leasing people that may have been mowed over earlier on in this play either.It is about the almighty dollar and nothing else....HBP, as little production as possible to still maintain a profit yet hold reserves until price increases and a greater market demand ie N/G vehicles etc.
The commissioner may find that one well would be sufficient to drain more than 920 acres. However, since Louisiana is divided into 640 acre sections, it is reasonable to consider the drainage of that 640 acres to be appropriate. Just because most applications only consider a 640 acre section, that should not be evident of the limits in which a well is capable.
There is no scientific/engineering/geologic reason for a 640 acre unit. It is an administrative issue. If the commissioner really wanted to look at proper drainage, these units would be much much smaller. But things would also be much more complicated and it would cost all of us money!
The only one on the losing end here is the interest holder. There is no scientific/geologic reason for 640 acres or greater but there is scientific/geologic reason for smaller units in HS as has been determined by drilling in Texas.
Louisiana law stipulates that a (state) lease can not contain more than 640 acres. It is for that reason, 640 acres is used as a standard. Again, it does not indicate that 640 acres is the maximum drainage area.
Where did you find this state law?
Louisiana code title 41 section 1216. You might also note title 30 section 148 subpart 6.
Thanks
What is your source???

My copy of the LA code shows title 41, sec. 1216 to relate to Restrictions of area, number, and transfer of leases; subleases

and title 30, section 148, part 6 to be Restrictions on area; term; rental for LEASES, not units.

You might want to look at the units in South LA (specifically the geologic units). These units anr not only not based on sections, but may look like an ameoba. They are also changed periodically based on new information from wells as they are drilled.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service