How Neighborhood Associations in NW LA could be MUCH Better (IMHO)

First, I am completely for neighborhoods unifying in order to get a better lease agreement with the O&G companies. But I’ve seen reports of neighborhood associations that were frankly more of a hindrance than a help.

I’ve read about and talked to people in the DFW area about this subject and we here in NW LA could learn a lot from them. Here are a few:

Homeowners need to formally belong to an alliance. – Think of this as a union of sorts. This alliance should negotiate with strength in numbers, but all bids should be presented to the alliance for approval / denial. For example, Twin Cities is now going to homeowners and saying if you get 80% of your neighbors to sign you get $X. Twin Cities should be dealing with the alliance and not the individual homeowner. But until they hear the phrase “I’m a part of my neighborhood alliance, talk to them”, enough times their practices will not change. Most alliances in the Fort Worth area accept membership either through Homeowners Associations or filling out a simple form saying that you belong to the alliance. Note: An alliance membership does not remove the homeowner’s right to sign with any company they chose.

Alliances need to reach across neighborhoods. – It was encouraging to see this start in South Shreveport with the ShreveCentre Coalition, but it could be done in South Bossier, West Shreveport, DeSoto, etc. The obvious advantage is strength in numbers, but also the leveraging of resources. More on this later.

People need to understand that this takes time. – Some of the neighborhood associations in Texas have been negotiating for 6–12 months. And almost universally, the longer the negotiations have taken, the better the outcome. Chesapeake just released 25 million shares of stock to raise money to lease land. They are not leaving town soon nor are their offers good until a certain date. Patience is a virtue.

People need to participate in the process. – This is easily the most important step. Go to meetings. Volunteer. And read everything. The more everyone is informed on the process, the better decisions they will make. I would guess those of you that read this site regularly are among the more educated on this subject. Help out your neighbors.

Alliances should not profit in the process. – I personally would pay a small fee to help defray costs in the process. Before you gasp think of this: There are lawyers (and even CPAs!) negotiating leases for random groups of people and charging them a percentage of their signing bonus. I’ve heard 4-5% in most cases. If you get $10000 in a signing bonus, you’ve just paid this guy $400-500. Wouldn’t you rather get together in an alliance; everyone contributes $20 and hires your own lawyer? Then you get your entire signing bonus.
(Note: Most associations in the area, including the ShreveCentre Coalition, are completely free.)

I hope this mission statement hasn’t turned you off. It’s just something I felt needed to be said. Hopefully more of you out there have good ideas that will help our neighborhood alliances and ultimately all of us.

Here is a link of an alliance's web site that is north of Fort Worth: http://360nw.info
I'd like to see this kind of thing in NW LA!

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also live in old Green Acres. I've been told that a no. of people are trying to start a group, but don't know details. Let's just keep talking and asking questions and eventually, I think we can organize.
Hi Carolyn I got a letter today from a couple of women on Douglas Street trying to collect signatures for Twin Cities. I talked to some of my closest neighbors and told them to wait, this sounds like another Dogwood Deal. There is a guy on the North Bossier discussion who said they are looking for more people to join with their group (300 already) in North Bossier. This sounds like the way to go. I have asked him for more information and am waiting to hear what he says. They have been meeting on Thursday nights. Lets see what this group is about before we jump into anything. I believe I read on here that section 11 (Southern Hills) had 500 signatures and got $20,000/acre. I am not going to just give my signature to Twin Cities for a small amount, we should at least get $20,000/acre for what I have seen rates going for now. What do you think?
The Stockwell area neighborhoods are working on uniting at this time. We have a landman that is representing us who lives in the neighborhood for no fee. If you are interested please email Stockwellleasing@yahoo.com.
Hi Bridgette, does this group cover Old Green Acres? If it does I will be happy to get with my neighbors to join.
Patty, I'm not sure. Right now they are just concentrating on the neighborhoods bordering Shed and Stockwell but we can't rule anything out. I'll get back with you when I know more.
Thank you
There must be another Stockwell/Carriage Oaks area group. I went to the meeting last night and there must have been 500 people or more. Most of us have elected to be represented by a geologist by the name of G.E. "Jerry" Merrill. Yes, he is asking for a small fee but I expect to get more than that back in protection and money. You can contact him at gemerrill@bellsouth.net

Nobody has to follow what their association or neighbor is doing. Do what is best for you personally but joining a group of some kind sounds like the best option for increased protection and dollars.
Yes there are two groups. I agree you have to do what is best for each individual. Thanks for the information but we will stay with our group.
Matthew 12:25

Please be cautious about making yourselves too independant from each other! You gain nothing by making yourselves smaller.If you are going to give up 5% of your money , what difference does it make which landman gets it ? As wonderful and knowledgeable as these guy's are , what, they couldn't bring the neighborhood together for more leverage ? I thought these guy's were on the homeowners side ? If they were why not join together to create a unified front ? That would have to increase options for your group. If one side of the neighborhood can't stand the other side, get together , unify , get paid, then go back to avoiding each other after this is all over ! This is the only bonus shot you will ever see ! Big O & G will make sure of that. The smart move would be to make the best of it!
Landman only knows what the company tells them. Mushroom theory - keep them in the dark and feed them BS.
At least that is the line that the landman is feeding me.
He doesn't have information on this - he doen't have information on that, etc. He is not far enough up on the food chain for them to give him the infomation, etc.
I guess he is trying to use the "mushroom theory" on me.
THANKS TO THIS ENTIRE SITE FOR SHEDDING LIGHT ON THE SUBJECT.
I agree being independent of each other is not the best but one guy is charging and the other is not. Most of our group does not want to pay the gentleman handling the other. Also he does not live in the area and ours does. It's a fine line. We called and tried to ask about joining together and the only information we were given is that we could join them but they had no intention of uniting together. We are either for them are against them, don't seem to be able to work together. We are for the land owners and the neighborhood. The other guy seems to just be about business?? Can't make people unite.
You can't MAKE people do it - but legally, the others can sign a release with that negotitator and join the group you are in. They haven't signed a lease, so they are free to join which ever group they wish as long as they sign a release from the original group.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service