How does a person know if they own the mineral rights to their land?

I'm getting offers to lease my land, but have no idea if I got the mineral rights when I bought my property.

Views: 974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you! I will make a trip to the court house tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze in.
If there is production - it is probably already a moot point.

My suggestion - look at SONRIS first.

Otherwise, I would leave it to the landman to check the title records.

They may occasionally get it wrong, but you will have a better chance of knowing if you own minerals with them checking title.

You would not want to fix the brakes in your car if you are not a mechanic.

You CANNOT expect to go to the Clerk's office and learn how to run mineral title in 15 minutes.
I agree. I didn't want to sound condescending to anyone, but it can not only be very complicated, but the process is even more complicated by the fact that the courthouses are very crowded right now. The employees can't do much to help you figure it all out; they just don't have the time to do this. Good point, that if there is production, you can almost assume there is a lease.
M. McWilliams,

DO YOU KNOW?

Can a piece of property in one section be hbp by another property in another section? And if so under what circumstances.

If a property in Plain Dealing and a property in Elm Grove are both leased in 1940 and the Elm Grove produces could it HBP the Plain Dealing property?
If don't know how to use SONRIS, I will look it up for you. Just post your Section, Township and Range. It will be later this evening before I will be back on the computer though.

The site is pretty easy to navigate yourself if you are anxious.
Thank you Parker. I will try to find it on Sonris. You have all been a big help!
I found what I needed at the SONRIS site. One tract of my property is still under a lease and the other isn't. Thanks again.
Mineral rights can be retained for 10 years according to La Law. If there is production, the ownership is retained for the life of the well. If there has been no activity in the past ten years which fit my situation, you own the mineral rights.
the mineral rights would be listed on the deed if it is owned by a different person.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service