can anyone tell me how many acres are in a section ? and is a section a square mile ?

Views: 490

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Generally speaking, a section contains 640 acres, or one sqaure mile, but there are exceptions. Due to the earth's curvature, some sections contain slightly less than 640 acres. If you want to see some really crazy looking sections here in Shreveport, check out some of the sections in the Township 16, Range 13 part of town. Whew!

The PLSS (Public Land Survey System) was devised in the late 1700's by Thomas Jefferson.

For some really good information on the PLSS, vist this website:

http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/boundaries/a_plss.html
Sections can be larger or smaller than 640 acres. The Louisiana State Land Office web site is a good place to find the size of a section of land. They have historical records that some may find to be very interesting. You can find patent information and look at original survey maps, these maps include the ammount of acrage contained in the sections. Also of note are the Spanish Land Grants located in Northwest Louisiana that are not cut up into sections, you will see these land grants on the Sonris maps and on the maps of SLO. I use mostly Tobin Maps and assessors plats in my work as a Landman.
hello tom glad to see you on the site. this is a friend from sabine parish.i have property in natch. parish that was leased to anadarko in 2006 just talked to xto and they said they bought all of anadarkos leases that is a good thing. have you heard anything on the messenger well?
Haven't heard anything but I have been out of the loop since last Thursday when I had go into Allen Parish and rescue a Landman on a pipeline project. XTO is a good company and I don't think you will have any problem with them. Shell/Encana are keeping it very quiet and all I can do is relate a rumer that I don't believe of 60 million a day on the 2 Sabine Parish wells.
Hey Thomas, I too have heard that the Shell wells were extremely good. I have heard a rumor of 8mmcfd on the Murray well and another rumor that put the well at 12mmcfd. We are all anxiously awaiting the actual results. When they finally become public knowledge, it is going to change a lot of peoples lives in Sabine Parish. You seem very knowledgeable of O&G leases. Do you do this for a living?
Yes I am a Landman and have been working in Sabine Parish for about 6 years. The two Shell wells are right in the middle of what I am doing.
If you have been working in Sabine for the past 6 years, then I can only assume that there is more knowledge of what is down under the ground that the "good ole folks" in this parish are not aware of. My next question is really pointed--Do you have knowledge of what is down under that would interest the banks in the area to foreclose on properties in order to try to seize the property for their own interests?
Suzie I am not a banker. I know that many mortgage documents contain language that require the mortgagee to pay toward the note any monies they would get from oil and gas projects. There are many formations the exist under our feet that may or may not produce oil and gas. A mortgage is like an OGML in that it contains language that a lot of folks don't understand. Some mortgage notes can be called at anytime the lender wishes, I don't think I would sign a mortgage like that. People buy things they can't afford and lose what they bought when they can't pay the note ie subprime mtg.
Thomas, Can you elaborate on which companies you are representing? Also, what areas are you currently working? Thanks
I am not buying shale leases only shallow stuff. We have turned down over 10 companys that want to play in the shale. The company that I contract out of is maybe the oldest in the state that do what we do, they were started in the 1930s. I think the owner feels that we could get a bad name in the crazy stuff thats going on up there ie giving you $1000 an acre today and your neighbor $5000 per acre two days from now. We may go in when the price gets more stable. I would have to ask the company before I put ther name out for the world to see. I do tell the landowner who I am leasing for.
>>They have historical records that some may find to be very interesting.

So true. I purchased an 1830 survey map from them a while back. It's really interesting seeing what "used to be" before there was a Shreveport!

Their website is really interesting too and you can view and print smaller versions of the maps. I'll find the URL and post the link later.
Here's the website for the LA State Land Office:

http://1webfn.doa.la.gov/slodocs/SLO/home.asp

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service