We have undivided land with our cousins. Petrohawk sent most of us the wrong amount (and two the right amount). The land man has acknowledged that they owe us money & says they are working on it but won't say if we're getting a supplement check or a whole new check. If we cash the check we have now will they still owe us the difference, or are we accepting a less amount for the whole contract? I'm new to this land lease thing. Anyone familiar with the laws on this? Thanks--

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your kind of in a hole with them since they have sent you funds (not a draft).

Once again, depends on if the lease has been filed also. (Probably not)

Randy
Whatever you do, DO NOT CASH that check. Cashing the check could constitute full payment for services rendered. This is a delay tactic that seems to be happening more and more often. O & G companies are issuing checks that somehow have the wrong amount or name on them. I admit that with the enormous amount of paperwork that is being done on daily basis, mistakes do occur but this is getting to be more and more prevelant.
It is amazing at how many people get the wrong amount, money went to wrong account, delays supposidly with the bank. I have never seen another industry with so many mishaps. It certainly makes you wonder if these issues are not intentional.
It is a legal gray area if they give you a check. It does technically constitute payment the same as cash. A draft on the other hand is NOT, since you don't have access to those funds. Either way it would require some serious legal bulldogging to prove that funds paid by check wasn't payment.

That's kind of like selling a car to someone but never depositing the check they gave you. It's still their car... well not exactly the same, sounded better in my head.

Randy
No do not cash the check....agree with Cathaus...there was a similar situation somewhere else on this website....
Don't cash the check until you get the right amount due you.
Call your Petrohawk contact, if you have one, and inform that you will be sending them back the bad check uncashed and that once they have corrected their mistake all will be fine. Don't cash the check as it stands, that implies that you have accepted the lesser amount.

While Petrohawk may have made an honest mistake, given the hectic pace of leasing activity going on, be firm on this matter.

To Petrohawk's employees, if you track activity on this website, and I'm sure someone at the company does, please show good faith and rectify this situation. I hope that that this little problem can be addressed forthwith.
You could cash the check but write on the back and front this is "Accepted as a partial payment toward full payment amount of $xxxs per lease". But, I would think you would be putting more pressure on the o/g if you did not cash the check. Sent them a fax stating they have five days to wire the correct amount to your account or the lease will be null and void on the sixth business day for non-payment on their part. Also, state you are overnighting the incorrect check to them same day and put the tracking number in the fax so they know you mean business. That will get their attention and your full funds quickly. TCB O
After reading about the amount being incorrect. I went back and pulled out my o/g lease from 1999. My lease show 35 acreas for $100.00 an acrea. My draft on the other hand was for $2625.00. I was shorted $875.00. That is what you call being to trusting. I can't believe I let something like that get by me. It won't happen again..

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service