correct me if i am wrong - bonus money and upfront money will be payed back, before royaltys are payed on each section, this bonus money is considered operating expense???????

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No bonus money is an incentive to get you to lease.
I am new to this. Can you explain what the difference is. Is it how you show it on your tax return and if so, which is better?
they are the same thing , no difference on taxes,, but you have a point you will need a tax person for that question,,, my question is will the upfront money [bonus money] be payed back before royalty checks are recived,,, i think it will be called operating expense in the contracts...and they will be payed back [oil companys do not give away money]
Randy,
I know you are a very capable landman. But please believe me when I say that no bonus money is held back while the companies recoup their expenses. Lease bonus money has no relation whatsoever to the operating expenses of the well. I know what I am talking about because I own both working interst in wells and royalty interset in wells, and have for many years.
Different people, I'm "that" Randy.

Bonus is reported on a 1099 at the end of the year, in box 2, the "Rent" box.

It is considered regular income.

Oh and yes it is NOT operating expense.
Little "r" Randy's rig looks bigger then yours and its got fire shooting out the end of it.
Randy (the landman),
Wow, that worried me for a minute.
I think lease bonus money is payed by an o & g company as a right to "own your working interest portion" of your mineral interest. No portion of this bonus money is held out as any expenses.
Bonus money is in NO WAY A PORTION OF OPERATING EXPENSE against the wells drilled in any units covered by the lease.
Lease bonus money is paid to you to lease your mineral interest. After that you receive your full portion of the production, less any true expenses, based on your lease. But no lease provides for the company to recoop the lease bonus money that they payed for the lease bonuses.
thank you,, i've just been hearing this going around and wanted to be sure

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service