Some of you will remember this question posed by Rodney King after the riots in Los Angeles. I remember the good ol' days on this site when landmen, O&G pros, geologists, etc. were in it to help the people involved. Now there is a definite division among landowners and O&G. This is causing a lot of friction. There are even racial slurs/cussing/battles everywhere. I'm sick of it. There are even people that need help but they are too afraid to even ask a question because they will be degraded or treated like dirt by someone who knows more than them. I used to tell everyone about this site, now I can only hope that if they visit the site that everyone will behave.

We can do so much with the resources we have here. Can we please get back on track and keep our civility thru this process?

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I missed your exchange with Mr. Ed but I have yet to read anything that you wrote that didn't have a whole lot of common sense in it.
Most of us who care about more than just our own interest are apt to blow a fuse now and then. When you are trying to protect your own interests as well as that of others you are occasionally going to step on a few toes along the way.
Let's also not forget the quote used to start this discussion was from some idiot who caused enough damage to work good hardworking police officers into a mob.
It is very difficult when you see all of the shenanigans that are going on by the oil and gas industry to not throw them all into the same category.
We have many good people from the industry that have given very helpful information to us all. But then we have also had enough post from people like BillyBob, Remodes, Jim or whatever name he is presently using to drive all of us crazy.
I know speaking for myself it is not that short of a drive.
IMHO (i just learned that today) i believe that alot of the landmen that get their feathers ruffled about some of the underhanded shenanigans talked about on these blogs because it is tactics that they have used for years themselves. They do not like the fact that JOE Q. PUBLIC now has knowledge of what these tactics are. They prefer to deal with the uninformed to be able to flip leases and get their share of the gold. Those that have posted comments in a helpful manner on this site seem trustworthy. Where those that seem to blast away about someone's opinion are not trustworthy In My Hunble Opinion. Mr ED seems to be a prime example. Have yet heard him offer advice without both guns blazing.
DYST,

All I ever hear is people talking about shenanigans but they never give specifics. Just what type of shenanigans are you talking about? Is the landman forging names on a lease? Is he altering the lease form after people have signed it to give himself more favorable terms? Has he paid someone to claim adverse possession against someone's property and signed that person to a lease. If any of the above has happened to either you or your neighbor, then you are right. These type of things are all illegal and the people perpetrating these acts need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent. But in all reality, I think that you will find that trangressions of this nature are in fact very rare.

Your are darn right that I will speak out when someone who hides behind a pseudonym on a website condemns an entire industry for the actions of a few rotten apples. These people need to be outed and put in jail if they are doing any of the things that I listed above. But, as I stated yesterday in a post to SnakeStewart, do you condemn the entire auto industry because a shady used car salesman sold you a piece of crap car? The answer of course is no.

I make no bones that I make my living from the oil industry. As a person who has experience in the drilling of wells, albeit none in the Haynesville Shale, I take the viewpoint that because I am the one taking all of the risk by funding the drilling of a well, then I should be the one who benefits the most should the well be deemed to be economically feasible. I do not put my money up just so I can double it. I risk it so that I can get a return of 3 times or more greater than what I put up at risk.

The people who were the first to lease and who are now screaming that they got screwed have no idea as to the process required to get a well drilled. A geologist generates what is known in the industry as a "prospect." This prospect is nothing more than an idea or a concept that the geologist has. He does not have any magical powers to see what is below the ground. He does some have tools at his disposal such as seismic, gravity analysis, well logs and core samples that help him make an "educated guess" as to where he thinks the prospect is. The geologist then puts his idea on paper. He defines an area of interest on a plat and tells the landman to go buy leases on the tract situated within the outlined area. An offer is made by the landman to the landowner to lease his mineral rights with the offer being based on what has historically been paid to the landowners who tracts lay within the prosepct. In regards to those landowners who leased before the first Haynesville well was drilled, how can you say that you were screwed? No well had been drilled to either prove or disprove the idea that the geologist had. Landowners were responding to the lease offers that were being made at the time. And in regards to the leases that were acquired first, you can bet that alot of these landowners took their leases to their attorney to get approved. I don't see anybody suing their attorney for allowing them to get "screwed" by the opil company.

I now see posts from landowners who have acreage miles away from any of the currently productive Haynesville wells complaining about how the landman is trying to screw them by only offering them a paltry $5,000/ac and 1/4th royalty. It's simply idiotic for a landowner to say that just because I own acreage in Caddo Parish and even though it is miles away from any of the current production, the oil company is trying to screw me by not paying me what my cousin got paid who owns property in the section right next to the barn burner well. Everything is relative in this business and until a well is drilled in the area where your property is located, it just doesn't have the same value as the acreage where a good well has been drilled. If you feel that your property has more value that what is being offered, go ahead and decline the offer. But please don't immediately start posting on a website that someone is trying to screw you.
I would think it would be "The lack of money". Or" the love of money", Money is just a tool- good only for the work, and good it can do. IMHO and we all could use more tools!
Rosebud,

That's a great idea.

Thank you Coonman....your sense of humor always cheers me up!

Landman made good
Was he a landman??????

Hasn't he been known for these sayings in reference to terrorists:

"The axis of evil."

"Evil-doers doing evil things"
YEP, was a TEXAS Landman.

I wonder when WE lease and ourselve become "BIG OIL& GAS" who will we talk about?
What do I know? I had Bunker Hunts car towed out of my parking space.
He shouldn't have been in your spot po boy !

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service