The way I understand it, a drilling company is not required to notify the landowners in a section when they begin drilling. They are, however, required to notify landowners when they hit production. The reason I'm asking is that my 10 acres is not leased and they started drilling last week on the 40 acres adjoining mine. They will have to contact me after drilling is conpleted and either offer me to lease, and if I decline, will offer me the choise to be a consenting or non-consenting partner. My question is, will I have access to the well's production records so that I can make an informed decision as to whether their lease and bonus offer is appropriate to the size of the well?

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From La RS 30:10 (2)

(a)(i) Any owner drilling or intending to drill a unit well, including a substitute unit well, on any drilling unit heretofore or hereafter created by the commissioner, may, by certified mail, return receipt requested, notify all other owners in the unit of the drilling or the intent to drill and give each owner an opportunity to elect to participate in the risk and expense of such well. Such notice shall contain:

(aa) An estimate of the cost of drilling, testing, completing, and equipping the unit well;
(bb) The proposed location of the unit well;
(cc) The proposed objective depth of the unit well; and
(dd) All logs, core analysis, production data, and well test data from the unit well which has not been made public.

(ii) Such election to participate must be exercised by mailing written notice thereof by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the owner drilling or intending to drill the unit well within thirty days after receipt of the initial notice. Failure to give timely written notice of the election to participate shall be deemed to be an election not to participate.

(iii) Another initial notice must be sent in order for the provisions of this Subsection to apply if the drilling of the proposed unit well is not commenced in accordance with the initial notice within ninety days after receipt of the initial notice.

If you are in the same unit they will have to follow LA RS 30:10 and the other pertinent statutes. Here's a link: La RS 30

With that much land, you may try to reopen lease negotitations with the O&G comapny (I bet they'd do it in a minute). And of course, get good legal counsel.
SO...if Jaime T is in the same unit and the company did, in fact, fail to give proper notice....what type of penalty could be assessed? Monetary? Paid to the state or to the party that wasn't properly notified?

Seems unlikey that a suspension of drilling would ever occur unless the violation was something like an environmental issue.

Just curious.
So the improperly notified party could get a free ride? An immediate share of royalties without helping pay for drilling? That's not too shabby!
(a)(i) owner ... may they are not obligated to contact
(ii) unsigned landowner electing to participate must mail
(iii) drilling not commenced in 90 days landowner must mail again

They dont have to do anything. Onus is on you. But it'd be worth it. If you could get a free ride. If I'm reading it right.
Yikes, I'm glad I really never got you mad.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service