Chrysler planning to introduce natural gas vehicles in U.S. by 2017

Posted: Apr 13, 2011
Email Add a Comment

2011 RAM 1500
Chrysler Group LLC is planning to introduce compressed natural gas-powered vehicles in the United States by 2017. Fiat, which now owns 30 percent of Chrysler, has engines using compressed natural gas in Europe and Chrysler executives are studying whether to bring the technology over to the stateside.

“The technology is very actively being worked on,” said Bob Lee, Chrysler’s vice president for engine and electrified propulsion systems. “It’s a good way for some diversity in the market in terms of fuel use.”

CEO of Chrysler and Fiat, Sergio Marchionne, has previously said that natural-gas engines are an attractive way to reduce emissions because they offer a cheaper alternative than competing technologies.

So which vehicles is Chrysler planning to introduce the technology into? First possibility is the Ram brand.

“I’m eager and very interested to see what we can do with CNG in our truck applications,” Fred Diaz, head of Ram.

- By: Omar Rana

Source: Automotive News

Buck

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This list/map of CNG fueling stations has grown a lot since I first looked at it and put it in my favorites. If it keeps expanding as it has recently, traveling on CNG will be possible by 2017.

CNG Stations:

http://www.cngprices.com/

Seems like it would be a simple solution to require all public utility companies to provide  public access to their NG..

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service