Hydrogen Car Goes Down Like the Hindenburg: DoE Kills the Program
The dream of hydrogen fuel cell cars has just been put back in the garage. U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced yesterday that his department is cutting all funding for hydrogen car research, saying that it won’t be a feasible technology anytime soon. “We asked ourselves, ‘Is it likely in the next 10 or 15, 20 years that we will covert to a hydrogen car economy?’ The answer, we felt, was ‘no,’” Chu said [CNET]. While innovative new cars are a high priority, Chu declared that his department will focus on efforts that may pay off sooner, like plug-in electric cars.

Cars powered by hydrogen fuel cells have been a staple of clean energy dreams, as they’d produce only a trickle of water as a waste product, instead of sooty exhaust and carbon dioxide gas. The retreat from cars powered by fuel cells counters Mr. Bush’s prediction in 2003 that “the first car driven by a child born today could be powered by hydrogen, and pollution-free.” The Energy Department will continue to pay for research into stationary fuel cells, which Dr. Chu said could be used like batteries on the power grid and do not require compact storage of hydrogen [The New York Times].

Buck

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See, there he (Chu) goes again with the HEPV's! I was reading another article earlier about up & coming vehicles, only 1 "green" car mentioned, and it is to be hybrid electric, too. And even my favorite auto maker wasn't touting one of those.

Chu asked what's likely in the next 10, 15 20 years!!! Too much far-sightedness, IMO, when there's an immediate solution that will get us into transition before the next election.

See brick wall ... bang head on brick wall.

Thanks, buck

Best - sesport :0)
Here is a dated article (almost 2 yrs. old) and we're still talking & thinking??????????

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-05-08-natural-gas-usat_N.htm

And from that article ...

"•Environmentally friendly. Natural gas creates so few emissions that Civic GX is the cleanest internal-combustion powered car on the road. It's greener than a Toyota Prius gasoline-electric hybrid and tied with the Civic hybrid, according to the Energy Department rankings for 2007 models.

Prius and the two Civics are the only vehicles clean enough to qualify for stickers that allow solo drivers to take them in California's car pool lanes. But the allotment of stickers has run out for the hybrids. Only Civic GX can still receive one.

Ellis says that on a smoggy day, the GX's exhaust is cleaner than the polluted air its engine sucks in. Natural gas is more than 20% better for carbon dioxide emissions, blamed for climate change, than comparable gasoline engines."

Now, instead, Honda is going to offer a hybrid electric (INSiGHT) with bells & whistles that tell you when to coast in traffic!

I'll take cleaner burning, fuel efficient, cost reducing anyday over bells & whistles.
What I like to know about Mr. Chu is why he has such a deaf ear when it comes to CNG powered transportation. Is he just another 'greenhead' who can't see the value of CNG because it's "fossil fuel"? Would he just rather see the money continue to flow out of America to the middle East?
Some politicians get their "green" point of view from the green lining their pockets coming from those middle east "crudes"
It's obvious this guy has been paid for.
Maybe Chu is in Exxon's pocket?
I wonder if the urgency of a sound energy policy will go on the front political burner if prices start getting back up to that $3.50-$4 mark?
Just saying "Renewable" in every breath won't cut it, huh?
Maybe the best thing to happen to the country is for gasoline prices to go to $4.
I don't know about everyone else, but my home electricity bill continues to go up...up and up. I have installed cost saving light bulbs (supposedly) and I clean my A/C unit and keep lights off in every room when I am not in them. I have lived by myself for over ten years and do nothing different to use more electricity. I live in Florida.

I can only imagine how much more my electricty bill at my house would be charging my electric...battery car for 12 continuous hours when I get home and leave for work the next day. Electricity is not cheap and they (Progress Energy) charges you more once you go over 1000 KWH.

In March of 2005 these were the rates I was charged:

First 1000 KWH $4.48600 1495 total KWH used
Above 1000 KWH $5.48600
Flat fuel charge was $3.91800 per KWH My total bill was $132.22 with tax

In March of 2009 these were the rates I was charged:

First 1000 KWH $6.34900 1369 total KWH used
Above 1000 KWH $7.34900

Now they break down the fuel charge and charge you accordingly

First 1000 KWH $6.29000
Above 1000 KWH $7.29000 My bill was $191.61

Imagine what your electricity bill would be after you charge your batteries up all night every night for 365 days a year at your home.

I don't see that as saving money. I see an increase to my home electricity bill that will off set any savings by switching to Electric Cars. Especially at the higher rates above 1000 KWH

Electricity is not a cheaper way to go.

I like the Natural Gas scenario.

Just my opinion anyways!

Jaybird
What's needed is choice!
All petroleum or NG or electric leaves consumers at the mercy of those producers. We need a choice to develop healthy competition between producers. For a healthy economy, we need stability, when it comes to energy prices and supply. Would folks be happier having to pay through the nose with any fuel? If the geeks in government wants "Green" alternatives, then let them compete, like all producers. Not just merely slant the playing field!
Here's a link to NGVAmerica (a Washington DC based org.) and at the bottom of the page is a link to their fact sheet from the ARRA. Skimming through it, it seems most of the incentives/credits will be going towards fleets, but there is mention of a $2,000 credit for home refueling stations. The pdf is dated March 17.

http://www.ngvamerica.org/incentives/09Stinulusfunding.html
It's OK with me for now that they start with fleets. Once the fleets get established enough then the public may have more access to quick refueling stations along highways and major roads.

Here's looking forward to the day we can refuel our CNG cars and trucks at places like Wal-Mart!

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service