Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gotta love the humor, no matter the misery. Nawlins, louisiana
Attachments:
Katrina and the whole story is wearing thin. The whole nation has been bombarded about the tragedy and suffering along with the blame and outstretched hands. Hearing about it during the Super Bowl build up and afterwards was not enough. It is a story that will not go away. What is so tragic is that it could happen once more. The levees and flooding were the cause, the storm hit Waveland and east of there. The citizens in Mississippi rebuilt and moved on. Louisiana looks at it as the gift that keeps on giving. It could and can be much more damaging. The nation will have much less capital to hand out next time along with less tears to shed.
talking about capital hand out-- $81 Billion of taxpayer's money to rebuild the coast after Katrina can not be accounted for.
Ancedotally, 8 out of 10 "victims" displaced who I had any dealings with showed minimal appreciation and a tremendous amount of entitlement. The timing of the storm, close to the end of the month, made it impossible for anyone depending on an Uncle Sugar deposit to leave, from their standpoint. Entitlement culture made the whole storm worse by keeping people in place. It definitely was not cost effective for the aftermath. Swindle and cheat. Tourists, government, fellow citizens. That is what it means to be in New Orleans. I hope when the next one hits: oversight and logic will trump emotions. The country cannot afford another hand wringing and guilt fest. $81 billion for big fat politicians and their grubby friends. Both parties and all races. You see some of the same lard tails and faces during the oil spill. It just never ends.
You guys might want to go check on poverty rates by state, and throw in high school graduation rates for a good measure of who's got more paper and thus more book learnin', before you continue to belabor us with your misconceptions.

Open mouths, insert both feet, and throw in your derrieres since these comments leave you looking like such. LOL!!!

80)
thank you for so saying. I was a New Orleans resident at the time and my hands were sometimes outstretched for necessities such as water and luxuries such as ice. Though I was in Baton Rouge during the worst of the flooding, I know something of what it is like to loose it all. Do not blame those victimized by storm and the failure of Federal levees.
cocodrie man - The way I see it, there are certain people & places that just love lickin' the boots of British companies. I'd be willing to bet they'd even hand over their first born to them. All the while they're whining about how much we need that Brit company's product, they allow them to run rampantly roughshod over their own lands and stick their other hand out for federal dollars to fund certain research at their universities.

I hope you're faring better these days. I currently work with several NOLA transplants and find them to be some of the hardest working, most delightful people I know.

80)
Yep, might want to check and see whether it was TX or LA that had the largest jump in food stamp recipients. We're not doing too bad of a job keeping up in decreasing welfare recipients, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/01/25/us/20090126-welfare-t...

tsk, You just had to go there.

80)
http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm After taking in multitudes of evacuees from Louisiana, Texas remains far ahead of Louisiana in what counts. Sure, welfare is hard to diminish dealing with the welfare immigrants from the east and south of the border. Bottom line, Louisiana remains Louisiana. Continue to delude yourself. You must be an "educator."
Morgan's methodology in certain areas is being criticized, so I would say at the least it's questionable. Don't know that it's what education experts rely on for valid, reliable data.

Now, before you go tootin' your own horn, this is what I know to be widely used.

http://all4ed.org/about_the_crisis/schools/map

As I said before, we're not lagging too far behind, and you'll note that TX doesn't fare much better than other states in the southern region. Continue to delude yourself if you want.

Jay, you're an expatriate. Your only interest in us seems to be the cash cow, and I'll speculate that cash is most likely spent in TX, thus aiding & abetting their interests.

80)
Hey, I second that. I pay Louisiana taxes on acerage held. I also pay state income taxes on income earned. My tax bill went up on the acerage in the eighties because of school mismanagement and parish incompetency. Additionally, I support the "children" when I pay taxes on a Louisiana home. I thankfully attended Newman in NOLA. I graduated from LSU. As stated earlier, I am a Betsy survivor. I have had dealings with the ways and mores of the state for longer than a few on this board. Louisiana has some good folks. Most of the ones hosted by Texas recently were not the best, including Ray Nagin. Leave me alone, "Professor" Starry Eyed Sesport--Joe
lol, Well, if some of you don't like paying taxes here, sell what you own and move on. Let someone who doesn't mind paying in "sweat equity" settle on your property and help us do the hard work that requires getting our hands dirty.

I have reality lenses in my glasses. The numbers are "in my face" every day. Those of you on this thread that want to pretend otherwise about TX aren't being realistic, IMO, and are probably wearing rose-tinted lenses that warp your perspective. Blinders that have you only seeing golden carrots at the end of your noses. Maybe it's because TX rewrites too many textbooks to reflect only what it wants to read and not what the rest of the nation and/or world knows to be true.

That's the best you can do for a come back? "Professor Starry Eyed?" Yeah, I know, when one can't make an argument with decent data, one can always resort to name calling. That always wins the argument on the playground, or in academeic circles, or in the hearts of voters.

BTW, one thing I thought about since posting that link ... most of the states in the southern region on the low end of things are also red states politically. Kinda makes one go "hmmmmm???"

80)

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service