by Eric Loveday (RSS feed) on Sep 1st 2010 at 8:03AM

New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA), North America's largest public transit agency, has awarded New Flyer of America Inc. a $216 million contract to supply the MTA with up to 475 CNG-powered buses. The contract calls for New Flyer to deliver 135 40-foot heavy-duty transit buses to the MTA beginning with two pilot buses scheduled to be handed over in the second quarter of 2011, with the balance of the order to be fulfilled by early 2012.

The CNG-powered buses will be put into service at the MTA's Long Island Bus, NYCTA and MTA Bus sites. Provided that the buses live up to expectations, the MTA will consider placing an additional order for 340. New Flyer was chosen as the CNG bus provider due to its long-standing relationship with the MTA and its "best bus value and support for life" approach. To date, New Flyer has delivered 823 buses to the MTA and provides warranty work and support services for all of its products, including those fuel cell buses that acted as people movers during the Winter Olympics. The company has delivered more than 3,500 CNG-powered buses over the past 15 years and works almost exclusively with Cummins Westport as its supplier of natural gas engines. Follow the jump for more on the CNG-powered buses that will soon join the New York MTA.

[Source: New Flyer]

Buck

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very interesting. I would think that Shreveport and Bossier City would follow suit. They have bonus lease money and royalties coming in. They could invest it in CNG public transport and support the Haynesville Shale boom. Also, they are extremely close to a source of CNG, no additional transportation cost to bring the fuel into the area. Something to think about.
Bossier City is currently building two fueling stations. They intend to move most of the city fleets over to cng as vehicle need replacing.

Sportran has ordered five cng buses and will slowly convert as busses are replaced.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/99695194.html

http://www.nwlanews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&...
Hey Baron,

I hope Shreveport doesn't let their bus painters get their hands on the new CNG ones.
The old buses look like they run on moonshine or casing head.
Jack Blake thinks the gas industry needs to make the rigs all run off CNG..... natural gas needs to be used. ........ Jack Blake heard LNG price compared to a gallon of gas is like $1.30 /gal........
With gas at something like $3.60/mcf I bet the gasoline /LNG conversion makes LNG even cheaper.
Jack Blake-- does it make any sense to Liquify NG to transport it on land and then have to have special terminal to receive it and convert back to CNG when we have pipelines? It also requires energy to keep it cold enough to convert from gas to LNG. I would think that would be very expensive thing to do. Conversion to LNG is primary way to transport NG from overseas to where ever in world you want to transport it usually by ship when no pipeline available.
We have pipelines. The gathering systems for Haynesville haven't been fully integrated. The big pipes are moving well to get it out of here. That is nice to see. Smaller diameters go into defined fields and gathering lines picking up individual wells. Cross country transport isn't much of an issue. TE to the east, TW to Calif., old Internorth to mid-north west, FGT around to FL, and many more. They will get it out into wide open space soon.
Ok just burn the gas to run the rigs. If it is good enough to run transportation systems, we need to have it running rigs and cars says Jack blake
Bravo, MTA!
Well that's good news! I also remember AT&T,(my husband's company) announcing they were buying a fleet of natural gas vehicles. Let's hope this trend continues to pick up speed. Here's a link to an article about it.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service