Any maps depicting Mid-Bossier play by Encana and others?

With the recent PR from Encana and others on this play, is there any map that would at least prematurely define the aerial extent? I hear Southern Desoto and Red River Parishes, but I know East Texas should also have some section of Bossier (whether Mid-Bossier or otherwise).

Views: 68

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know, but it has peaked my interest. We are in south Desoto
Mattie, the green oval on the attached Petrohawk map depicted their view of the Mid-Bossier Shale. EnCana has not yet produced a map.
Attachments:
Les B, I have mineral interest in North Sabine Parish. What are the three plays/shale areas shown on the Petrohawk map and are their others in this area of N. Sabine? I assume the three areas shown are Haynesville Shale, Mid-Bossier Shale and Cotton Valley. Am I correct in this assumption?
Waltcop, the dark blue, blue & light blue are all the Haynesville/Lower Bossier Shale play. The green oval across the southern area is the Mid-Bossier Shale play. The Cotton Valley is a sandstone play and is not depicted on the map. Also, the Cotton Valley productive areas are not continuous like the shale plays so would not be mapped in the same manner.
Thanks Les B, your inputs are always appreciated.
Mattie,
You might check out Pat Todd's new discussion on the Natchitoches Parish Group.
It is a report from Encana dated May 28.
Thanks, I've been out of town on business the past few days and just catching up on this. With all the talk now about failures to the north, is the southern part of the play appearing to be the better area for the HS as well as the Bossier now? Seems like a 180-degree turnaround from previous discussions. I assume that the higher pressure, temperatures, gas quality, and other drilling problems/issues associated with the deeper depths are now less concerning.....or, am I missing something? I'm sure both North and South regions have their plus/minuses, but now Southern Desoto seems to be the hottest part of the play.
Mattie. The eastern edge of the play is where much of the recent leasing and unit application activity is located. Particularly the northeast. However, the lesson of north Caddo should be on the minds of land/mineral owners on any edge of the play as currently defined. The north Caddo experience will be repeated on all the edges eventually. We just don't know exactly where. Only the drill bit can tell for sure.
Skip, actually only the frac will tell when it comes to the Haynesville Shale.
Well put, Les. Getting to the end of that lateral wellbore ain't easy but figuring out the frac design is the real determining factor. Slick water or gel? Ceramic or x-linked bauxite? What additive mix? Geez, I hope some operator finds the magic formula for north Caddo soon.
Mattie, EnCana has always said they felt the core was slightly further south than initially believed. A recent roundtable discussion with EnCana, Chesapeake, Petrohawk & Southwestern indicated the center is along a trend line in De Soto Parish & northern Red River Parish. This is driven by a combination of thickness, depth and rock properties. There is still concern with the technical challenges of depth & temperature as you move further south in trend but this should be overcome with time. After all the best vertical well in the trend was in Natchitoches Parish.
Skipper, that is for certain....the drillbit tells all -or- more correctly, the ultimate recovery on these wells after a couple of years production will really tell the story.

Although preliminary, are a couple of the reference maps splitting out the Haynesville, Bossier, and CV proving to be fairly accurate? They show far east Texas (Shelby Co), far south Desoto, and northern Red River as a "hot spot"........you're saying that it appears to be more easterly?

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service