O.K. Newbie here so cut me some slack if I screw this up. I just noticed there's no discussion group for my parish and communication among our residents is sketchy and patchy at best because we are VERY new to the oil play, so we don't have any collective wisdom here. Any comments, insights, or even heresay welcome here. What I have to contribute is just information on lease rates and the areas they are concentrating in right now. (Averaging $150 for first three, varying for next two. From 1/6 to 1/5 royalties.) Devon is about a month into drilling it's first Tangipahoa well just a little north of me in Fluker, Louisiana. I have friends who are part of the unit but they are not hearing much of anything. Security at the site is TIGHT with our local sheriff's office maintaining 24 hour presence a couple of hundred yards from the rig itself. They ask you your business and write it all down. I think it's called a "tight hole" or something like that. They are also going to be buying all the pond water nearby. I don't know how much they are paying but will ask around.I have heard that our state is limiting the drilling of wells for water but I'm not sure of that. It was just hearsay from a friend. Well that's it for now.This is a great site. I've learned tons here. Amelia Resources has been a great help as well. Keep up the good work people.

Views: 80546

Replies to This Discussion

Ah. A new member. I never heard of this guy in Kentwood. Most people I talked to were taking the money. This area has been studied, drilled, plugged and abandoned quite a few times and never put out much oil, and most of the old line families in the north end of the parish know it. Your profile icon looks like you're in the industry although I confess I don't know what that thing in your picture is. Any opinions on the Thomas well in Kentwood?

I will contact some area residents to inquire about the meeting at Skinny's.  Haven't heard anything about it.  People do tend to get attitudes if they think someone is getting a little more $ than they are.  I passed by the Thomas well in Kentwood.  The rig has been gone for a few wks. now and I heard they were going to start fracking soon.  There was some sort of crane type thing above the hole, from what I could tell.  I will take a pic of it today to post here.  Maybe someone will be able to tell me what the crane is used for.  There's a lot of Tangipahoans anxious to hear good news about this well.  Lots of leases are depending on the Thomas flowing profusely!  8)

Jane:

That might be the crane that's used when they explode the various shots (deep down in the well) and which proceeds to open up the formation for the frac.

GD

Thanks GoshDarn..I will be heading to Kentwood in the next hr. and will swing by there to take my picture.  I'd love to be out there for a short time while they're fracking.  Is there any protocol against visitors partaking visually?  I'm sure there's quite a bit of liability because of the explosions, but still interested.

Jane, I can't speak about whoever is working down there, but you can be pretty sure that no visitors are allowed at all.  Not only does the production company not want you "giving away secrets", but the liability of folks on location is simply not acceptable.  To go on location here, you have to have all of the required ppe- steel toe boots, hard hat, safety glasses, FR clothing, etc., plus you have to be on the production companies approved vendor or visitor list.  Even the land owner would not be allowed with out proper gear.  This is due to all the heavy duty equipment and related activity.

As for explosions(?), there are no explosions on a frac site.  The charges talked about earlier are more like a large gun shooting a bullet into the well bore.  The fraccing operation itself is pretty much undetectable from the surface, outside of the equipment and activity and such. (The ground doesn't rumble or anything) 

Now, that being said, if there is a place off location that you can snap a photo or two, I don't think anyone would be upset over that.  However, the lease road is considered a part of the location.  Anywhere from a public road or space would be OK.

Jane, like bpm has clearly stated, there's not really much to see when the crane maneuvers the so-called "bullet shots" deep down into the well, i.e., it's simply just a crane over the wellbore.  No big whoop.

Note:  This work might actually be called "preliminary" to the complex real-deal fracking process (i.e., that's when they bring in all the water trucks and have all the hoses hooked up, etc.).  So, y'know, you might be early to the party, so to speak.

And again, bpm is absolutely correct in regards to the access restrictions.

Good luck with the well.

GD

Well, I drove past the Thomas well site, pulled over with my camera and couldn't see the crane(or whatever it was)anymore.  It was there last Tuesday but gone on Friday.  The location is pretty far off Hwy 51, which is where I was going to take the pic from, and it's sort of blocked from view by an old fence line of trees.  I saw no frack trucks, but did see a couple of white trucks moving about.  I would never try to get near the site without permission and I understand liability.  Thanks again for the info! 

Oil man from Pennsylvania told me that they would probably be fracking with dry cement. That is what they use up there.

wilcox I was at the meeting at skinneys and the guy was from baton rouge and unless i didnt hear that statement you referred to it was never said They was a small landowner ask the question and he said it was an individuals choice depending on amount of land and how much you needed the money HE NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT HOLDING OUT FOR MORE MONEY tHE ONLY THING HE DID SAY WAS EVERYBODY KNEW THERE IS OIL DOWN THERE BUT IT JUST DEPENDED ON IF COMPANIES HAD THE TECHNOLEGY AND WERE WILLING TO SPEND THAT MUCH TO GET IT.AS FOR ME I TOOK THE LEASE AS DID ALMOST ALL MY NEIGHBORS

Cheyenne,

It looks to me like the companies have drilled the larger land owners (Soterra) and gotten production and information. Therefore those leases are now "held by production" (HBP) and are safe. According to you a lot of the smaller land owners have signed new leases with the Devon. That now gives them 3 years plus 2 years of option to wait to do any new drilling. What it comes down to is they have the information and new leases. It will be a while before they do anything in that area. That's my opinion. 

If it is down their and economically viable to produce, Devon will not sit on these leases, they will be drilled and "HBP".  

I don't agree. Devon is trying to hold as much acreage as they can as cheaply as they can. The leases throughout the trend are tight and they don't want the lease prices to go through the roof. If they can get extensions on the current lease acreage cheap and hold other players out of the area then that's what they are going to do. This is what we see them doing in the Felicianas. They are drilling and HBP the very large (10,000+ acres) land owners and re-leaseing the smaller acreage. Nothing big is going to happen until they are comfortable with their leases and their position. 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service