Has anyone been offered a lease that required a commitment on your part while the company closed out the deal?

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Mr Bowman,
What would you consider a reasonable bonus on the Haynesville ?
It has taken over 10 years on the Barnett to get to the point we are in 7 months worth of Haynesville.Many feel that it is premature to feel being left out is an option.I feel with the current technology that there isnt near as much guess work as there used to be.Nothing in this play is guaranteed tho. I felt win/win with my investment portfolio up until yesterday afternoon, so that just goes to show you what I know. Thanks for your post.
As for myself, I would go to the court house and look at the most recent public mineral lease records of your area, within a few miles of the section your land is in. I would look for leases on state or federally owned land they seem to get some of the best bids. Contact an attorney for advise on lease contracts in your area. Then base your decision on accurate information and advertise your deal provisions to the local lease agents. ALLWAYS read and completly understand everything you sign! As for your investment portfolio I would not worry to much our money and economy is based on the lies our government can convince everybody to believe anyway. The best asset in my opinion has been and will be LAND! God is not making any more of it and we can allways live off of it no matter what the economy does. My family has allways owned land and never missed a meal even during the depression. That is why I firmly believe in land ownership with or without oil or gas leases. But I am very happy for the fortunate people in northwest Louisiana, the exploration and development created by the Haynesville Shale will be great for everyone in this area.
Mr. Charles Bowman, I just finished reading you posts. You sound like a pretty good dude. Say more please.
But the courthouse records don't show what the lease bonus amount was. Please advise.
I think I'll rush on out to the Lexus dealership, pick up one of their cars (no deposit - no obligation) borrow it for 90 days and IF I like it I may decide to lease it.

Do you think they will take me up on that proposition?

I think not. And neither should an owner of minerals or anything else of value.

DO NOT GRANT AN OPTION WITHOUT A REASONABLE FEE FOR DOING SO.
Very well put Parker.
I like Parker's scenario...however I highly suggest a Bently...if your going to do it right...do it right!

Seriously, very well put Parker

Jaybird
Make sure you get the 90 day warranty! LOL

Seriously guys, I just was just trying to make a funny. People tend to get caught up in this entire situation and let it get to our heads. It's happened to me. Just make sound decisions and do your homework, have a Oil & Gas lawyer look it anything before you sign and you will be fine.

I don't know Parker and I don't know HMI...both are probably really good people.

Good luck to all,

Jaybird
HMI,

Even if you want to say its a skate board, I don't think the skate board company is going to let me take it for a spin for 90 days for NOTHING!
Mr. Bussiere ~ Just like many of the potential Haynesville Shale landowners, I don't live anywhere near that area. Most of what I've learned about the Haynesville Shale in the past 4 or 5 months has come from this blog. You are correct when you say the only offer we had been approached with was $2,000 per acre. That's why when we got a call from someone else in the area advising we were being offered $7,000 per acre, but we really weren't being given a lease just yet, but we had to sign some kind of 90 day commitment, I'll have to admit that sounded a little questionable to me because I had never read of that type of scenario by anyone else on the blog. On the "Suspicious Group" thread, someone would occasionally inquire about a company or individual and get a positive response back such as "they're actually a pretty big or reputable company" or "we were very pleased with our dealings with that company." That's why I posted the question as to whether anyone had heard of or had any dealings with you or your company . . . hoping I would get one of those great responses, but as you saw, I got no response ~ good, bad, or indifferent. I knew that just because no one seemed to be aware of your company, it didn't mean it was not an offer to be considered, so I then started a new thread asking if anyone else had been offered a lease that required a commitment on the landowner's part while the company closed out the deal. You saw the responses I got to that question, although the responders weren't saying that you or your company were flippers, because I didn't connect you or your company name to that
thread . . . you actually did that yourself. My point is, I'm certainly not attempting to doubt what you say about your reputation in your community or your honesty in your dealings with people. I was merely trying to do what this site has recommended from the get-go, ask questions, learn as much as you can, be careful what you sign, etc. I feel quite sure the folks in Fairview-Alpha would definitely be happy if you are successful in getting them a $7,000 per acre lease considering the significant drop in the price of natural gas, Chesapeake reportedly shutting-in, activity in the area pretty much at a crawl right now, etc., etc.
Jim....can you explain the "liquidated damages" for failure drill within a specified period? I ask this because when we leased our property a few years back, the female landman swore on the graves of all her ancestors and promised to sacrifice all her grandchildren if they did not drill. Of course this was not in writing, and the top of the ground was never disturbed. These promises were made verbally as my father lay dying at the local clinic and she was waving lease papers for him to sign before he passed away. As you might imagine, the word "landman" is not at the top of my list of favorites. However, a commitment (in writing) to drill, with some kind of heavy penalty levied on the leaseholder for failure to do so
sounds like a good thing to include in the lease if the energy company is seriously interested in the property. Can you explain more about how this works, and how difficult it might be to enforce if necessary. (I live out of state and own property in Claiborne and Union parishes).
Thanks,
Bill Lynn
Half Way, Missouri
Rae, please recategorize, sounds more interesting than politics.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service