State your notes of thanks and remembrances here...

I was actually working in DC at the time and had the unfortunate opportunity to see the Pentagon (from the interestate) 15 minutes after Flight 77 crashed into it. I had been running late for work when a co-worker called and told me to not come in...I decided to go ahead and head into the District. My girlfriend (now wife) worked in the city as well and I decided to track her down. I was able to track her down, but because the traffic was so heavy, we pulled over and went into a cafe and watched the happenings on TV.

My prayers and thoughts of gratitude go out to all those who suffered and sacrificed.

Please post where you were/your thoughts...

Tags: 911

Views: 108

Replies to This Discussion

On 9/11 2001 my first child was 3 months old,we had just woken up and started our day. I remember lying on the couch with him staring into his eyes and knowing that life was good. Then my mom who was watching the morning news looked at me and said Cassie. It was one of those times when the sound of the person who is talking to you's voice says something is wrong something is devastatingly wrong. I looked up at the tv and watched in horror as all those people jumped from the buildings to escape the burning jet fuel and the only thing that went through my mind was that those people would never again look into their childs eyes and know that things were right with the world. Within hours I remember wondering if things would ever again be right ,all of a sudden we weren't safe in our country anymore. Now every year on the anniversary of 9/11 I look into my now 2 sons eyes and I say a prayer for all the wives,husbands,sons,and daughters who were robbed of that privelage.Our God is a righteous God and to any of the terrorists who go unpunished in this life know that judgment will come in the next. GOD BLESS AMERICA..NEVER FORGET!
I was in northern California. My husband woke me up and told me what had happened. My first thought was for my sister who lived in Manhattan at the time, but fortunately well north of the Trade Towers. I had lived in Manhattan for 5 years and loved it. It seemed utterly impossible that solid New York City could be so ripped apart. It seemed totally surreal. My sister was alright, but she lost a friend and a friend of my husband's was severely burned, but survived.

Today, we celebrated my youngest son's 9th birthday. He was born in 1999, not the actual 9/11. While I won't ever forget the events of that day, I have it a bit easier, because September 11 is also a very precious day for me. My heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones on this day seven years ago. Thank you, Haynesville for starting this thread.
I was on the Left Coast. I woke up late that morn and saw a tiny picture of the World Trade Center on my MSN page.

At first I wondered if it was a bad joke of some avant guard photographer (hey, the govt gives money for artists to put crosses in urine bottles so why not our tax dollars to show pictures of buildings blowing up?)

Then my neighbor, a stay at home mom, called me. She was screaming.

Our town had a bad high school shooting in 1998. The grief hung over the community so thick you could cut it with a knife. Clerks in stores broke down crying while trying to ring up someone's groceries.

September 11 was a lot like that. Except his time our whole nation felt that grief that's so thick that it chokes us. I pray we never feel that thick grief again.

Logger
I have never done this before, but this seems to be the proper forum and writing about it seems to be easier for me than talking about it. I have four sons of which 2 were serving in United States Army Special Forces at the time of the attack. My oldest son, Aaron, was a Captain serving with the 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne). My next oldest son, Michalel, was a Chief Warrant Officer also serving with the 7th Group.

On the day of the attack, I was talking on the telephone with Aaron when I noticed on the television what appeared to be video of a burning building. As I talked with Aaron, I realized that what I was watching was a live feed of an event that was currently taking place and not video of something that has happened the day before. I turned up the volume on the t.v. and heard the reporter saying that a plane had run into one of the towers for the WTC. I told Aaron to turn on his t.v. and we both watched in horror as the second terrorist plane crashed into the other tower. Aaron then told me that he had to go and that he loved me and then hung up the phone.

I didn't speak with either Aaron or Michael for almost 3 weeks after the attack at which time they both called and said that that were being deployed to Afghanistan for what is now called Operation Enduring Freedom and that they didn't know when they were going to be able to speak again with me or my wife. Almost 6 months passed before my wife and I were able to speak with them though we did get letters from them previous to the telephone call advising us that they were both doing well.

Michael has subsequently served 5 tours in both Afghanistan and Iraq and is still on active duty to this day. Aaron was on his second tour in Afghanistan when he was killed in a firefight with what what we were told was fighters associated with the Taliban. Michael accompanied Aaron's casket home and as per his wishes, Aaron was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetary so he could rest at peace with the other valiant men who have died serving their country. Though my oldest son is no longer with us, I am grateful in that Aaron died with the knowledge that he was loved very much by my wife, myself and his 3 brothers as well as numerous aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.

Aaron's mother and I ask that God please have mercy and bless all of the innocent, wonderful people who passed away in the cowardly attack perpetrated on September 11, 2001 and on all of the valiant men and women in our armed forces who have passed away since that date defending our freedom. I also ask that everyone please ask God to bless and protect our troops that are currently serving in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and in Operation Iraqi Freedom in Iraq.
Mr. Sparks:

I am very sorry for your loss. Though I do not know you, it seems that you did a fine job raising your sons and that you should be very proud of having such brave and patriotic sons.

I will say a prayer for your son Michael and also a prayer for Aaron. I know that he is in a much better place.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service