Why should I sign for 25% royalties when I could get 100% royalties.

Tags: 100%, 25%, royalties

Views: 516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So do you believe that it boils down to whether or not there is production?

In other words....if there never is production, then leasing and getting a bonus is better?

If there is production, then buying in for a working interest would be better?

Of course I realize there may be a few wells with "very little" production, in which case the lease with bonus would still be better.
I agree with this. However, my hypothesis is pre-production, namely the point at which the E&P has permitted the first well in the unit and is getting ready to spud. It seems to me that, at that point, a third party investor would pay much more for a 100% working interest acre than it would pay for a 25% royalty interest acre.
I see....so there will be people offering to lease our mineral rights after the company that is drilling has decided they have enough of the section and are ready to start drilling?

I didn't know that....GOOD INFO for the public to have.
The deal with a third party investor probably would be a purchase of your interest, rather than a lease. It's hypothetical, but at least in the current environment there is a ton of $$$ chasing energy assets.

This is also speculation, but I would guess that the E&P that is developing the unit would be willing to discuss converting your 100% working interest to a royalty interest at any time along the way. As long the E&P is convinced you'd be willing to continue to hold your 100% working interest for the long term, I imagine the lease terms would be very favorable.
Kevin, a minor correction. You can never get 100% "royalties". You can get 100% revenue and 100% costs.
I stand corrected, Les. {G}....you are correct, sir!
Will someone show me the living/breathing force-pooled, un-leased mineral owner who can tell the story of 25% vs. partnering with O&G. Until this happens, we are not ever going to pinpoint how speculative these kinds of options are in the O&G business. If we all think of this scenario as betting the farm on more ng underneath your feet than the O&Gs can produce over 20-40 years...then go for it! If you want to sign for the best deal you can get...then go for it!

One thing though, the O&Gs are spending UNGODLY amounts of money here, JUST TO LEASE YOU UP. Do you think they might just know something?????? Do you think the drilling will be increasing/decreasing over the next 20-40 years? Are you a risk taker or not?

Again, think about what you want to be handling 20-40 years down the road, and what your bet today will be providing you with 20-40 years down the same road?

And remember, anyone who is taking 6% from you just for signing you up to a lease, is taking huge liberties with your moneys...not his. I would rather sign a run-of-the-mill oil&gas lease any day then give up 6% to a stranger doing "me" a "favor" by handing me a "pen."

One more thing, the Office of Conservation is NOT ANSWERING this question in a clear and concise manner. They just threw this question back to the questioner by telling him to talk to an attorney...who hasn't seen this elusive "creature" either!

Have a great weekend! 7/9/08
And even if you meet someone with this experience....it still won't be the someone who has been through it with the Haynesville Shale. This is a whole new animal.
Any update on any of these Unleased mineral owners? Anyone getting paid now? Update us please!
Foxie, suggest you contact flatlander because he may be an UMO/CIO.
I've also seen posts by Pam saying she's an UMO.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service