We have all heard people say they would go to Europe, buy a new car, buy a new house, etc. But if you hit it "big" what would you do "GOOD"? I don't mean the aforementioned trivial but fun items. I am asking about ideas that folks have that would impact others not just yourself or your family. Also not the usual non-profits. If you were going to establish one, what would it be. If your life would change so significantly. Wouldn't you want to do something significant with your life?

Views: 178

Replies to This Discussion

First of all... Thank GOD we are even involved in this to be able to receive His blessings from this...We actually sold our property about 4 yrs ago and had no idea this would happen ...Again Thank GOD !!! We are planning to give to the Church , I want to help my children some because they can use it...my Mother could also use some help sine we lost my Father almost 2 yrs ago... He still needs a headstone at his grave and I want to do that as well... But, after that I don't know ....Just waiting to see what happens and what we end up with... anyway , you brought up a good discussion and it does make you wonder if your finances change that much what would you do and how would you be towards the people you have known so long ...Wonder how many "new" friends you will have too .... hehehehe
It's hard to say. I will have to wait and see if I'm one of the fortunate ones. But IF the good Lord blessed me in that way I would do the usual things as you mentioned, family, church, etc. but I think it would be neat to send money anonymously to people in need. I don't mean the ones who sit back waiting for a handout but the ones like most of us who have struggled all their lives working to support their families and have little or nothing to show for it. What a treat it would be to have the ability to makes someone else's life a little brighter.
I have a friend whose parents, on an income of about $30000, annonymously give to elderly people in need. They send about $100 a month to an aunt who is in a nursing home. They also buy a months worth of groceries for elderly people they don't know.
The reason that I know they do this, is because my friend asked me if I would let them help me with my mom's groceries.
She knows that I provide for my mom and that sometimes it is a struggle. I had to respectfully decline though. I know from growing up poor, that what I call a struggle now is usually just doing without something I didn't need in the first place.
We plan to support Bossier Kids. Bossier Kids is a christian foster care program with 3 group homes in Bossier Parish. The state has cut back funds for extra curricular activities for foster children and it would be nice if these kids had opportunities for sports, gymnastics, etc. Aside from that, we also would like to be able to give help, anonymously, to people in need.
God has been good to us and I am thankful that we are able to be completely out of debt with what bonus we got. It is nice to have a few extra dollars in your pocket so that you can do those Random Acts of Kindness that require money. We have given to the church, of course, and made a few donations to organizations we try to support.

If we are so blessed to have royalty payments come in, we would give to the church, help our children, and look for those in need that we could help anonymously, as others have stated. Helping others is such a worthy goal that blesses the giver as well. And there are always the groups like the American Cancer Society, St. Jude's, Children's Homes, missionaries, etc. I can think of so many places that would be worthy of help.

Another thing I would love to be able to do is establish a scholarship to Northwestern for a deserving child, maybe in a particular field. I think that would be a good investment and be an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
If I'm lucky enough to receive royalty payments, I would pay my monthly gas/fuel bill with it...
There are literally thousands of nonprofits in our area currently, ones that are well run business wise and don't waste their resources on overhead. As one who currently works in the nonprofit field and has started one in the past, the key for people wanting to do good is to find one that fits with what you want to do. Look for nonprofits with low over head costs where the majority of dollars go to the actual services. A good number to keep in mind is 12% of the dollars generated or donated go to admin. This is efficient use of money. Also, the Community Foundation is a great way to make sure the money is well spent.
okay, on a serious note, i think i would try and help our community schools and less fortunate kids. They are the future...
Right on target Kenny. These companies are going to have a hard time finding workers and the key will be to get training programs in place that supply workers who are from less fortunate backgrounds, people who have disabilities, or other barriers to employment including lack of education in that discussion.
I want to start a non-profit for entertainment for children in the hospital. They say laughter is the best medicine. My goal would be for each patient to have 10-15 minutes a day for someone to come visit them, if it is not detrimintal to their medical care. It would be nice just to see the smiles on faces of children in need.
Personally, I think this website is for information on the oil and gas industry in Northwest Louisiana. If someone wants to start another blog on how much "good" they are going to do that would be fine. I have seldom seen where money makes for better people. I have been to several of these meetings and watched people become rude and angry at some of these land men. I thought it was just me but several of my friends have noticed the "greed" factor setting in. If you are a good person then money should have no influence concerning what you do to help people. I think many churches will become very rich with this leasing money and lets see how the money gets spent there first.
Right on , on the "greed" factor...couldn't agree with ya more..

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service