How Neighborhood Associations in NW LA could be MUCH Better (IMHO)

First, I am completely for neighborhoods unifying in order to get a better lease agreement with the O&G companies. But I’ve seen reports of neighborhood associations that were frankly more of a hindrance than a help.

I’ve read about and talked to people in the DFW area about this subject and we here in NW LA could learn a lot from them. Here are a few:

Homeowners need to formally belong to an alliance. – Think of this as a union of sorts. This alliance should negotiate with strength in numbers, but all bids should be presented to the alliance for approval / denial. For example, Twin Cities is now going to homeowners and saying if you get 80% of your neighbors to sign you get $X. Twin Cities should be dealing with the alliance and not the individual homeowner. But until they hear the phrase “I’m a part of my neighborhood alliance, talk to them”, enough times their practices will not change. Most alliances in the Fort Worth area accept membership either through Homeowners Associations or filling out a simple form saying that you belong to the alliance. Note: An alliance membership does not remove the homeowner’s right to sign with any company they chose.

Alliances need to reach across neighborhoods. – It was encouraging to see this start in South Shreveport with the ShreveCentre Coalition, but it could be done in South Bossier, West Shreveport, DeSoto, etc. The obvious advantage is strength in numbers, but also the leveraging of resources. More on this later.

People need to understand that this takes time. – Some of the neighborhood associations in Texas have been negotiating for 6–12 months. And almost universally, the longer the negotiations have taken, the better the outcome. Chesapeake just released 25 million shares of stock to raise money to lease land. They are not leaving town soon nor are their offers good until a certain date. Patience is a virtue.

People need to participate in the process. – This is easily the most important step. Go to meetings. Volunteer. And read everything. The more everyone is informed on the process, the better decisions they will make. I would guess those of you that read this site regularly are among the more educated on this subject. Help out your neighbors.

Alliances should not profit in the process. – I personally would pay a small fee to help defray costs in the process. Before you gasp think of this: There are lawyers (and even CPAs!) negotiating leases for random groups of people and charging them a percentage of their signing bonus. I’ve heard 4-5% in most cases. If you get $10000 in a signing bonus, you’ve just paid this guy $400-500. Wouldn’t you rather get together in an alliance; everyone contributes $20 and hires your own lawyer? Then you get your entire signing bonus.
(Note: Most associations in the area, including the ShreveCentre Coalition, are completely free.)

I hope this mission statement hasn’t turned you off. It’s just something I felt needed to be said. Hopefully more of you out there have good ideas that will help our neighborhood alliances and ultimately all of us.

Here is a link of an alliance's web site that is north of Fort Worth: http://360nw.info
I'd like to see this kind of thing in NW LA!

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Feel free to give us a call at Twin Cities, our switchboard is 550-4000 and tell the receptionist / leave a message where you are and that you need to talk to someone about your HOA. However, we would need to talk to the person who President or appointed person to handle affairs for the HOA.
To put it bluntly, that's a joke. I don't think her head, or that of other board members, is in this game. At any rate, the HOA only controls the common grounds. There's a group of about 6 - 10 homeowners,maybe more, concerned that we'll be force pooled. We own our small properties and have decided to take care of our own business since the HOA isn't. Still interested?
Your HOA's are in fact doing something. As soon as your HOA makes final decisions on joining a group they will let you know and distribute nonbinding letters of intent. As part an HOA in SE Shreveport our HOA board officially made the decision to join the ShreveCentre Coalition (SCC) Tuesday night and will have the NBLOI's out next week. With HOA's being run by volunteers it takes more time to get things done than it would for a business to do it. Don't panic, don't assume - contact or phone a neighbor to get info.

Don't assume - call someone in your neighborhoo
Jmac, do you mind telling us which neighborhood your HOA represents?
You only deal with HOA's since when ? After the organizing takes place ?
Sorry snake, what I said wasn't clear. If there is an HOA we will deal with them, and like to. If someone wants to sign with us that is in an area an HOA is trying to work a deal, we will still sign them.

It does have to be a true organized HOA w/ appointed leadership that is authorized by it's members to negotiate on their behalf.

Randy
O.k. , just checking you on that one.
Great information....thanks!
I am in Old Green Acres in Bossier and interested in forming an alliance. We don't have a neighborhood association so if anyone is in this same area, I would like to hear from you.
Hello Ms. Whaley , please don't think that you have to be next door neighbors to be in agreement about getting a fair shake on this.The other side will contend that they only want lands that are touching.If that were always the case , why would they ever lease land in a section that another company has already leased in.By telling people to organize with HOA they are basically trying to limit the amount of choices that you have.The smaller the group the easier it is to pick you off, or bully you with that " You've got until tomorrow at sundown or else" type of gameplan that seems to be working quite well for them in some of the weaker neighborhoods ,leadership wise

Don't let them pin you down by limiting your size. You decide how big or small your group needs to be.If your neighbors aren't on board , find someone that has your same vision, or at least still has their eye's open!
Hi Diane, I would love to join in a group. There are neighbors around me that have not singed yet (Northside Drive) and we refuse to take the $5500/acre now. That is what Randy said they could offer us. With the amount reaching over $30,000 that is a little hard for me to believe. Let us know and I will get the word out.
Outstanding ,ladies ! That is exactly what I am talking about!
Thanks, Patty for your reply. Did you go to the Twin Cities meeting at Airline last night? I wasn't able to go, but I plan to go next week. I went last month and I am just wondering what else is being said. The more I listen to this, the more it sinks in. I have a lot to learn. We will certainly have to meet and see what we can get started. I live at the other end of Green Acres. (Wesley Cir)

Randy is probably reading this...if so, tell me. IF WE HAD more than one well in our 640 acre unit, we would make money off each well...right? And we can have up to 8 wells in one unit? That would be awesome!

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service