CAPLIS-SLIGO ROAD RESIDENTS RECEIVE UNETHICAL BUSINESS PRACTICES IN REGARDS TO LEASING MINERAL RIGHTS!!

In 2005 (and prior) my neighbors and I were approached by individuals affiliated with Chesapeake in regards to leasing our mineral rights for $100.00 per acre, etc. At the time, it seemed somewhat acceptable, I guess. It is somewhat strange the telephone number for the individual I dealt with in '05 has ignored my recent phone calls and the voicemail is full.

Now this is an eye-opener, get ready to be shocked.

March 2008; Weeks before we, the residents of N. LA received "breaking news" of the Haynesville Shale, my neighbors and I received checks via certified USPS for $100.00 per acre; note keyword "check" (not draft). Not only myself but many other residents owning property on Caplis Sligo Road accepted this little to nothing amount they offered. We, the residents were uninformed of local gas drilling and findings thus it seemed reasonable-- same amount as our last lease; nothing was thought of it.

We, the property owners in this area are disgusted and feel manipulated by Chesapeake's unethical leasing campaign. It is awful this company believes that the mailing of checks to reinstate your lease was conducted fairly and ethical. Without doubt, they knew they were ripping off people, sadly it was done intentionally on their part. Yet, this company- Chesapeake states they are "Doing the Nation a World of Good" to which is broadcasted all over their website. Now as I drive throughout Shreveport/Bossier, advertisements on billboards from Chesapeake states, " We are for the people." Hmph!

Apparently Chesapeake believed sending a check with a disclaimer printed on it, no additional paperwork included, was going to do our community a world of good. Once checks were deposited, lessor agreed to the prior lease agreements which apply for an additional two years. At this point, I am shocked I didn't receive a letter from their corporate office-- "Thank you for allowing us to deceive you in addition to ripping you off! We appreciate the fact you have a lack of education on mineral leasing... We certainly appreciate your business."

I am unaware if other companies participated in this unethical business practice, let it be known Chesapeake was! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know all the oil and gas companies which were popping up locally (approximently within the last two years) were aware of these "hot-spots" before it was made public in late April & May 2008. Who honestly believes any oil and gas companies would release their findings, making it publicly known within days after their discovery? We all know this event did not "go down" in that fashion, it was kept a secret as long as possible.

I spoke to a CORPORATE LEVEL employee at Chesapeake regarding unethical business practices utilized by "such a caring company." I received poor assistance and no explanation was given on why residents were not informed a month later. Coincidentally, it was made public once the deadline on the checks were dated. I also expressed my thoughts regarding their full intentions on sending out checks to individuals with "cash-by this date or voided" to ensure people would cash them. All in all, they win.

Perhaps they should post the comment their corporate employee stated on their billboards, "If we knew this was going to be as big as it is, we would have leased out to the entire area before other companies could have the opportunity." Hmm.. something like, leased out to people before they were informed of the Haynesville Shale for $100.00/acre! He continued to beat around the bush, informing me they were unaware the Shale in March. Throughout the conversation, it was obvious he felt compassion yet he continued to stand behind this seedy company.

I am now aware of Chesapeake's unacceptable business practices, including but not limited to taking advantage of landowners. It is sad to know that oil and gas companies are practicing unethical behavior to insure they will make millions while ripping off hard working American citizens not only in South Bossier, but the entire country.

I have contacted several attorneys in the area for legal advice, to my surprise they are all somehow affiliated with these manipulative, uncaring, useless oil and gas drilling companies.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE THAT MY NEIGHBORS AND I DID.
EDUCATED YOURSELF ON OIL AND GAS MINERAL LEASING!
JOIN IN WITH YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD GROUP! DO NOT SETTLE FOR THE FIRST, SECOND.. NOR TENTH OFFER-- MAKE THEM PAYUP as they deserve to!

Any information on disputing a lease that was accepted by cashing a check would be very helpful and appreciated. Please let me know as I will inform my neighbors. Thank you.

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What do you plan to do with this information now? Alot are upset and I completely agree. My mom was one of those that got the $250 last year with no insight. Unfortunately immoral isn't always the same as illegal. Groups are forming now to prevent this from happening again, and it appears to be working. Maybe everyone that received the (non)deal of the century should also form together and see what they can change about it. Otherwise a lot of spilled-sour milk. jmo
If the companies knew the Shale was there why wouldn't they have gone around and leased everyone for $500 an acre. At the beginning of the year no one would have passed up $500.
No one was offered > $400 until March or April (around the time of the announcement). Keep in mind only one or two companies even knew about the shale in Febuary. If I were Chesapeake I would have given a blanket offer of $600 or $700 for the whole area before I made an announcement, but I guess they are nicer than me.
I am in the same boat you are in but I TOTALLY disagree about the renewal being unethical.
How many would be happy if they went down to lowes or Sears and bought a new refrigerator and then the very next day, it went on sale for 1/2 price?
Would it be ethical or unethical for the salesperson to not mention the looming sale to you? The salesperson's employer told the salesperson to keep the ad under their hat!
Now, imagine yourself going back to the store to complain and being told, "Hey? You should have done your homework!"
Yes! If a company wants your future business, they'll treat you "FAIR"!
Isn't that the point? Since this OGML is only a one time transaction, Fairness was never a consideration. Taking as much advantage is the name of the game!
Before anyone knew they had been scammed, the Scam artist was long gone!
I wonder how many who had never heard of a landman or the HS were wise enough to have escaped signing a crappy lease?
I know how you can avoid all of this trouble with the weasels and serpants of the O&G world!
For only $7,000,000 you can have your own horizontal well in the Haynesville Shale!
Oh don't have 20 million laying around? I don't either. So someone is going to pay me to extract my minerals for me?
Sure sounds like we are business partners.
The reason the O&G folks get by with all they get by with is because of the "Every man for himself" or "As long as I get mine" attitude most mineral owners have.
We were not approached by any land man. We received the "check" to reinstate our prior expiring lease for an additional two years. It was UNETHICAL for a "we're for the people" company not practicing "good-

I am currently seeking legal advice, etc.

unethical

adjective
not conforming to approved standards of social or professional behavior; "unethical business practices" [ant: ethical]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

good faith
–noun
accordance with standards of honesty, trust, sincerity, etc. (usually prec. by in): If you act in good faith, he'll have no reason to question your motives.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

deceive verb, -ceived, -ceiv·ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to mislead by a false appearance or statement; delude: They deceived the enemy by disguising the destroyer as a freighter.
2. to be unfaithful to (one's spouse or lover).
3. Archaic. to while away (time).
–verb (used without object)
4. to mislead or falsely persuade others; practice deceit: an engaging manner that easily deceives.
[Origin: 1250–1300; ME deceiven < OF deceivre < L décipere, lit., to ensnare, equiv. to dé-de- + -cipere, comb. form of capere to take]

—Related forms
de·ceiv·a·ble·ness, de·ceiv·a·bil·i·ty, noun
de·ceiv·a·bly, adverb
de·ceiv·er, noun
de·ceiv·ing·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. cozen, dupe, fool, gull, hoodwink, trick, defraud, outwit, entrap, ensnare, betray. See cheat.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service