DO NOT PAY ANYONE TO DO WHAT YOU CAN DO YOURSELF FOR FREE!!!

My comments have been misinterpreted by one individual (or more). So my message does not get lost, please consider the following: I am an attorney, but I am not giving you LEGAL advice. I will not represent anyone so please don't ask. I am simply giving my PERSONAL opinion as the 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution allows me to do.

I am tired of seeing new sites pop up offering to negotiate, draft, advise, etc., folks on their mineral rights, leases, and tax implications. YOU PROBABLY DO NOT NEED TO PAY ANYONE TO HANDLE YOUR MINERAL LEASING ISSUES unless you are a large landowner, complicated title to land issues, or other "unusual" facts are at issue. People don't hire attorneys to negotiate the terms of their mortgages, or credit card agreements, or car leases. There are many complicated legal documents we all sign often without the benefit of an attorney's counsel. There are numerous sites "popping up" which provide accurate information about mineral leasing and mineral rights. It will take some time, but if you read the materials, you probably can grasp the issues relevant to your situation. If you don't feel comfortable after "educating" yourself in the area of LA mineral law and leasing, then seek advice of counsel. If you work long hours and then have kids at home and other obligations that make research impossible, then perhaps an attorney should be consulted.

HOWEVER, BEFORE HIRING AN ATTORNE, CONSIDER JOINING A "NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION!" I, for example, belong to NorthPark Estates Neighborhood Association. We are landowners who are taking our collective knowledge and expertise and helping each other free of charge to the members. If the association has knowledgeable members, then you don't need to hire an attorney. Just about every neighborhood in Shreveport and Bossier has formed an "association." If you have this option, it doesn't make financial sense to pay for services that you can obtain for free through your "association."

If you must pay someone to handle your mineral lease negotiations, don't pay 2-4%. In my opinion, such a fee is unreasonable. You should pay NO MORE THAN 1%, especially if there is a large group retaining the services of an expert. If you can't get your expert to accept a 1% fee, go to the next person until you find someone who will.

Let me make myself even more clear, if there are complicated legal issues involved, like trusts, you should consider an attorney. If you find yourself in litigation, you definitely need to hire an attorney. If you have a 1/3, 1/2 or 1/4 of an acre, then the costs of an attorney and CPA may be cost prohibitive.

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the Landman only made a day rate then companies paid the Landman more then they paid the landowner! Hows that for a reality check ?
I do think we need to keep criticisms confined to personal email. Maybe that should be a ground rule here.
You can only outlaw criticism when you outlaw others trying to persuade people to go with deals that could cost them millions unfairly.

As long as there are people on here touting their high percentage deals and trying to stand between my minerals and a fair deal- there will be criticism.

As long as you have companies saying that it is best to work in groups- then do everything in their power to bust up your group- there will be criticism.

As long as you have landmen laying in bed dreaming up every new unethical tactic under the sun to deceive people- there will be criticism.

Criticism will cease when people are paid fairly for their minerals in the worlds fourth largest Shale and the largest in the United States. Because there is no other Shale like this one to gauge from, we don't know the true value of our land. But you had better be ready to CRITICIZE anyone that tries to take advantage of you until you can find out the true value and get paid fairly.
I do not agree on keeping criticism quiet. I PERSONALLY would never know I was wrong if noone told me.
Well spoken from an experienced Shaler.I do believe we are on the same page about not paying someone for those same fifty years as well , aren't we?
Your land is already producing?
I stayed up too late on here last night.

I thought your post said he got you better "production".

I SURE WANTED TO KNOW HOW HE DID THAT.

I need some sleep.
Very good point, but if I am paying for a negotiator I want someone with experience in that area.

There are some people who I respect their ability that I would not mind paying 10%.

I wouldn't let someone without experience under any circumstances. My pastor is a nice person but I would not want him negotiating for me.

There are many nice people with good intentions but that does not mean they have the experience to handle every aspect of the details involved.

If someone is negotiating 500 acres in a hot area, they are going to get lots of offers no matter what their skills or connections. If on the other hand they try to do the same for my little lot, I don't think they will fair as well.
Ms. Sue B,

You probably don't want any more advice from me.

But you would be well served to read this entire discussion.

Lots of valid points on here.
bump
Where are the $30,000 offers that a "group" is suppose to be getting?

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service