I own property in Township 20 North. Part of my property is in the Benton Field Unit which was set up back in the 1940's. I have been unable to determine if this is still an active field unit. It covers parts of T21N R 12W, 20N R 13W, and 20N R 12W. Anyone have any info on this area?

Views: 1101

Replies to This Discussion

Jim:

Are you aware that there's a new "oil" play a little north of your land?

And, c'mon.  The taxes aren't really that much in La.  You better be glad the land ain't in Tejas.  Dem some taxes over there.

So, you might be making the dumbest move of your life.

In other words, since you've held it this long, why not wait another five years and see what happens?  (I would.)

Yes, I know the lesson I've learned over these many years is that folks should never assume that any land anywhere in La. has been played out.  Yep, so darn glad that I didn't let that kinda of thinking get me to do something dumb before the Haynesville came a callin' (per all our old low production on old hbp leases).  But then . . .

BOOM!

We lucked out and had some land not under lease and the bonus money went well north of $10k an acre (way north of $10k/ac), along with 1/4 and a sweet "free royalty" clause, etc.

BOOM!

Yeah, and there's even a debate if new technology might just find productive NG shale in places that they're unsure of right now.

BOOM!

Plus, there's that dang "oily" rush to lease near you.

Good luck, Jimbo.

(BOOM!)

Well Hello GoshDarn. Thanks for your reply. I would like to know more. This held by production does not seem to be a good thing. I have heard of activity near Benton field. Long drilling. But I don't know how to find out anything. Some company (maybe Samson) has made a road down my property line to drill next to my land but I have never been contacted for anything. There was a man from Samson call me to say that someone had drug up ground on my land and busted a saltwater line. I didn't know there was a saltwater line. I am thinking of coming up there to look up county records and view my land but I don't know what I would get out of that. I believe there are others in the same predicament. It would be nice to find them. Well if you hear of anything let me know. Thanks Jim

Fields do not hold leases in force.  Production or Shut-In payments for lands covered under a lease are what matters.  If you are not receiving royalty or shut-in payments its time to investigate. 

Wow hello Skip. Thanks for your reply. What can I do to find out? What can you tell me about 40 acers T20N, R12W, Sec7, of the Benton field. I hear things and I still don't know. If I were to contact Samson I wouldn't know what to say or ask. I am thinking there are others in the same field. Someone should know something. I need to find out what this time. Again Skip Thanks Jim

Start by reading the lease.  Especially Shut-In clause language.  Then look at and make a list of all the wells in S7-20N-12W and their status codes.  You'll have to use the state database to do this.

http://www.gohaynesvilleshale.com/group/sonris_help_center/forum/to...

OK cool thanks. I will do that. How do I get to read the lease contract? I've never seen it before. Samson doesn't even have it or won't let me have it.

You go to the courthouse and get a copy.  It should be filed in the Grantor Index under the name of your predecessor in title.  It will be helpful to know approximately when the lease would have been recorded.  An approximate year will make the search easier although the actual month and day are not important.

Again thanks. I'm going to do that. My son will be up there next week. He will do that for me. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks Jim

Jim:

Skip does that type of research at the courthouse and, as I understand it, he has access to the records on his home computer, too.

Of course, as a working pro-landowner landman, I know his time is valuable and he can't just give away freebies to the many GHS members who are clueless when it comes to such stuff.

Yeah, well -- for the almost 4 years I've been a member on GHS (and I see that you've also been a member for almost that long, too, Jimbo) . . . I've advised many members as to my thoughts on how they should do their leases and/or manage their mineral estates.  Sometimes certain folks are out of state, and they have no clue at all of where to start.

Anyway, what I've seen over and over again is that so many simply don't want to spend any money hiring a lawyer and/or hiring a landman to do some needed research.

In other words, people think they can save money and do it on the cheap themselves.

Now, true, some can.  Some folks are able to figure some of the basics out and learn how to protect their holdings.

Yet, I always tell folks that good information is key to making wise decisions and that if they simply spend a few pennies to find out the truth from a legit insider, then those few pennies could easily end up paying tens of thousands of dollars in the return on the info investment.

Indeed, GHS is quite lucky to have Skip sharing his expertise and his concern for the little person, underdog.  Nevertheless, the guy does have to pay his bills, too.

Also, I've never read of anyone complaining about Skip.  His ethics and honorable ways have always been above reproach.

Yep, the world truly needs more such goodhearted landmen.

Good luck, Jimbo.

Skip, I have property in the following location.  Can you tell me anything about that area

SE of NE, Sec. 1, T21, R14

Section 1 - 21N - 14W has never had a modern well drilled in it.   I say a modern well because records are not that accurate before the 1930s.  It is rare, in that part of NW LA, for there to be no historic wells however that has no relation or impact as to modern exploration and production.  There is active leasing in the townships to your north that may eventually extend to your part of 21N - 14W.  There is also leasing to your southwest.  All you can do is sit tight and follow developments on GHS.  Good Luck.

I am looking for land owners that own land in the Benton Field Unit. I have a piece in it and we need to talk and share information. This field is In Bossier Parrish around S7, T20, R12. For any information on this field please reply. Thanks Jim

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service