I have 20 acres in Caddo. St Marys Land & Exploration asked for an extension in March 08 for $750. Well we never have gotten anything from this property so we signed an extension with them till March 2010. If I remember correctly they said the law gives them first rights at the extension anyway so whether we signed it or not they would have gotten it. Does that sound right?

Anyway, am I completely out of luck because I have a lease with them till 2010? Can someone else come in and buy them out and start a new agreement with us? I do not know squat about the O & G business so I need some help.

Thanks for any info you have.

Tags: Caddo, Mary's, St

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have some friends in a similar situation. The larger O&G company did purchase the leases from the smaller O&G company but they plan to drill before the leases run out so they are not willing to top lease. I am afraid you may be stuck if anyone drills before 2010.
Unless the extension was guaranteed under the original contract, you would have been free to decline. They would have needed to write a new contract if they wanted to preserve the mineral rights.

However, if the extension was protected under the original contract, they would not have needed to ask you for the extension, which lead to the thought that it was not a contractual obligation. They would have been within their rights to claim the extension without your acceptance (since you previously agreed by signing the original contract).

Being as you accepted the offer, you are "locked" into the terms of the original contract.
Sorry for all the questions but like I said I don't know the business. I will dig all the paperwork out and start reading I guess. How do I find out if St Mary's has sold the lease to someone else? Do you go to the Caddo clerk office to find out who owns the land next to you? I have a couple maps I think that might show original names of property owners but most likely they don't own the property anymore.
Since St. Mary holds claim to your mineral rights, they are under no obligation to retain them. They may sell those rights to another company, and that new company would be bound by the same terms of your original agreement. I am perplexed as to the desire to locate information about neighboring landowners. With you currently under a lease with an O&G Company, any information pertaining to neighboring properties would not apply to your situation.
Grice, Why are you so perplexed to me wanting to know who/what neighboring landowners are doing? My main reason is since I don't know the area maybe they can tell me what is the talk around the property location. There are some big pieces of land around me and most likely they have been contacted by somebody. It would be nice to know if St Mary's has sold the rights to somebody else but unfortuneately nobody will call you back.
I think talking with your neighbors would be a good idea. I simply did not understand the need to perform your search at the clerks office, when a simple knock on the neighbor's door might provide the same (and faster) results.
Consider it a bird in the hand,
$750 sounds like a good deal for March 8, 2008.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service