Google Earth is a great free resource for looking at sites.

The satelite images are not updated often, but looking for the brown squares all over the Barksdale Air Force Base and other areas is quite revealing.

go to www.section7bossier.blogspot.com to see a map of southwest caddo and north desoto. I copied this off of google earth. I cannot make Google earth show section lines.

Views: 313

Replies to This Discussion

Yes it is. Whats more, you can look at well reports on Sonris, get the latitude and longitude, and then search Google based on those two coordinates to find out exactly where the well was drilled. Very useful. :)
Actually the photos of Youree Drive and that area were taken around March 2002. Don't know about other areas, but I think that they are all fairly old.
Im not saying that you can zoom in to see any recent wells in the google earth image. What Im saying is that you can see the locale where the well is located. Much better in a person's mind to see the locale on an image map than hear someone say "Go down highway 84 and take a right turn near the black cow and its about 2 minutes down that road".
If you look at the information bar at the bottom of your browser...over on the right it will say when the google earth shot was taken. Some are several years old. I did see one for north Sabine Parish that was June of this year.
To look at Township, Range and Section, go to www.earthpoint.us

Look in the lefthand column for Township and Range, then you will see about 3/4 way down "View on Google Earth".

Type in an address in the upper lefthand box. You can zoom in or out with the scroll on your mouse. If you get too close, though, you won't be able to see the Pink and Orange lines.

You need to allow about 15 or 20 seconds for the Pink lines (sections) and Orange lines (Townships & Ranges) to load. Point to the pink or yellow dots in the middle of the section or township.

Hopes this helps.
This little addon has proven useful for me, so whoever brought it up in an earlier post I am thankful.
Is that for La. and Texas or only Idaho?
I have been using http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx to locate things for quite a while it works like google earth but you can input the PLSS and see the lines. If you leave the section blank and just enter township and range you can get a good overall picture, but like GE the pics are older.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service