The evening news featured a drill rig manufacturer from Marshall that has a large order from CHK. It stated that CHK intended to have 60 rigs working by the beginning of 2010. If it takes 3 weeks per pad with a rig, and 60 rigs, with one well per section, could they be drilling 665,000 (all leased land by CHK to date) acres in one year?

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes and I could be a tall blonde bombshell too!
I heard it takes 45 days to complete a well.
Did it say those wells were going to be horizonal?
I can't find a single HS well that's been drilled in the Shreveport area on sonris. They are all north or south of Shreveport. All the wells showing around Shreveport look like shallow vertical wells.
I had heard that the companies were considering holding production with one HS vertical well per section of leased land (and later going back to do the horizontal and additional wells per section). And that one vertical could support numerous horizontal wells like spokes on a wheel in different directions. I was questioning if one vertical well per section leased could technically be done in one year?
Probably so if it produces in paying quantities. Then they could shut them in to wait on the infrastructure to be built, such as gas lines. (anyone seen any of that activity?) I'll bet it will take years!
The demand for high powered rigs (able to drill horizontal wells) rigs is unprecedented. Operators are contracting to have drilling companies build new rigs and the operators are committing to three year contracts for each rig. The demand for drilling mud, chemicals and frac fluids already is stretching suppliers. Nearly all the new steel pipe for well casing, gathering systems and pipelines is already committed through 2009. With massive drilling still going on in the Barnett Shale in north central Texas and Woodford Shale in east Oklahoma and western Arkansas, and with some of the same companies preparing for massive drilling programs in the Marcellus Shale in pennsylvania, there will be intense competition for all the resources necessary for drilling, completing and equipping wells for production. The boom will have an affect not only on operators and royalty owners, but suppliers also.
I would expect to see that there may be delays in getting wells that have been drilled and pipe set delayed in completion (fracing) and getting to market because of lack of completion equipment and access to gathering and pipelines.
Do not omit the shortage of skilled workers to fill those positions. For those who think their current job is leading nowhere, opportunity lies just over the horizon.
Maybe some of us will get lucky and our leases will expire before they can HBP. Then we start over!
Roughly 1000 sections. One (10,000' hole in 3 weeks) X 60 rigs X 17 (3 week sets) = pretty much everyone HBP.
Louisiana Lady, Chesapeake said they would have 30 rigs by 2009 year end and 60 by 2010 year end. The drilling and completion time initially is closer to 60 days per well and may be reduced to 45 days later in the development so will get about 6 wells per year per rig. Based on average rig counts I would estimate Chesapeake could drill a total of ~ 400 wells in the 2009-2010 time frame. This equates to about 264,000 acres based on one well per 640 acres. Aubrey stated about 40% of the acreage is already held by production so this would allow Chesapeake to drill sufficient wells within the allowable time to hold the remaining acreage. The remaining 6000+ well locations could take almost 15 years to drill.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service