By Drew Pierson • dpierson@gannett.com • April 16, 2009

The Bossier Police Jury once again has postponed the long-proposed law to regulate oil and natural gas production that would be the first in the state, delaying a vote even on parts of the proposal until at least two weeks from now.

"The industry issues we have had have worked themselves out for now. ... But those issues might be coming," Bossier Parish Attorney Patrick Jackson told police jurors Wednesday.

Taken almost verbatim from the oil and natural gas law in Fort Worth, Texas, which discovered a similar natural gas deposit under its city limits several years ago, Bossier Parish was supposed to be the first Louisiana municipality to have ratified its own law governing many parts of the rapidly growing industry coming to the area to drill the Haynesville Shale. Caddo and DeSoto, among other parishes, also are evaluating Bossier's proposal and considering following in step.

But a storm of events has pushed the proposal that many expected to have been enacted two weeks ago to now looking, perhaps, to be more than a month away. Chief among those reasons: opposition from the oil and natural gas industry.

"We don't want this thing to go to court," Ray Lasseigne, chairman of the Louisiana Oil and Gas Association board, said while imagining hypothetical situations that could happen were Bossier to too hastily ratify a law.

Besides industry concerns, Louisiana is the second reason for the delay. The state is in charge of big-picture items when it comes to regulating the oil and natural gas industry — where drill sites go, who can drill them and where the pipelines go. Parish laws — including Bossier's, Caddo's and others' — are intended to manage everything left over, mostly quality-of-life issues like how loud compressor stations that pressurize those pipes can be.

But Louisiana recently announced it is coming out with its own quality-of-life law governing drilling in the Haynesville Shale. A public hearing on the proposal is scheduled May 21 in Shreveport.

So like a game of rock, paper, scissors, if the state passes a law at odds with Bossier's, companies would first have to comply with the state's then ensure they are in compliance with Bossier's

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My question is is why is the parish attorney pushing so hard for regulation? It seems the jurors don't share his enthusiasm.
Personally, I believe that the parish and muncipalities should regulate industry as a whole, not single out one industry. Why should we concentrate on he weight of salt water trucks, what about timber trucks, garbage trucks (much heavier than you would think), and cement trucks?
Baron,

They are making sure that they DO NOT single out this industry.

At the first meeting on the subject that stated that they want to work with the industry to help it thrive in a manner that is also contusive to present quality of life in Bossier Parish. Most of the municipalities are also TRYING to work together to make the ordinances as cohesive as possible across the board.
Hey Parker, did you ever have luck getting a copy of the ordinance?
Keith,

Yes I have it. I may need your assistance posting it though. My preteen is not presently available for a tech consultation.
KB,

I just sent it to you. Can you post it?

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service