I was wondering if anyone has been contacted concerning this well. I'm trying to figure out what I can expect next and in what kind of timeframe.

Views: 19011

Replies to This Discussion

The check date was knocked back for some reason.  XTO stated it was because of some kind of glitch.  They usually mail out on the 25th of the month.  from what I was told mine and whoever else was caught up in the glitch wasn't mailed out until the 30th.

Looks like volume for June was only 479,142 MCF.  I suppose that actually not that bad, if only the price would improve.

almost 11% decline over a single month. Could be tied to mechanical issues (e.g. well down for some sort of work) or it could be normal decline. Or a mixture of both. Or slightly choking well back.

It will be interesting to see the numbers for the next several months as to decline and ultimate EUR projections.

in this low price environment, do many operators choke back to push some production to hopefully higher prices? If so, does 

that create some danger to the ultimate amount of gas recovered?

I know that operators that some operators in the Permian are choking back gas wells. Apache just mentioned doing that last week with the most recent quarterly report.

Several years ago, Pioneer published info indicating that EUR's on the Eagle Ford wells actually were seen to improve as they choked back on gas production in an effort to better control reservoir pressures.

Not saying that choking back is positive for all reservoirs - but personally, I don't think that choking back will negatively impact ultimate gas recoveries.

It's possible but I have never run across a concrete example of that.  You have to keep in mind that operators have volume commitments to gathering and treating mid-stream pipeline companies and a need to generate sufficient cash flow to cover local operating costs.  Choking back a well as far as I know doesn't impact the EUR (Estimated Ultimate Recoverable) reserves while opening the choke too much (pulling too hard) risks damage to the reservoir.

IMO choking back in the Permian is a special case owing to the take away restrictions confronting that basin.  Lack of pipeline capacity for oil and gas. In the early days of the Haynesville/Bossier Play there were several memorable cases of companies opening chokes too much to get impressive flow numbers and damaging the formation around the well bore in the process.  Keep in mind that Haynesville wells were "over-pressured" meaning extremely high flowing pressures.  It wasn't long after that the companies reported "restricted choke" programs and claimed improved EUR from doing so.  Petrohawk was the first if memory serves but the majority of Haynesville operators followed suit and claimed the same advantage.  That was about 2009 to 2010.

Pioneer%20Choke%20Management.pdf

Here is the slide from a past Pioneer Eagle Ford presentation about their intentional choke management efforts. Graph clearly shows smaller choke equates to better EUR.

Skip brings up a good point as several items including the reasons for Permian Basin gas cutbacks as well as the overpressured nature of Haynesville.

Each reservoir and situation is different but I still personally don't believe that intentional choking back on Haynesville Shale wells will have a negative impact on ultimate cum gas production.

Any information is always appreciated!   Most of this is way over my head!!!  I admit..  I did learn something new from this post by Rock Man and I began to search the term.    Haynesville is over pressured which led me to finding the link below on Sabine Island.. which is at least partly in SA.  etc....                              

https://gohaynesvilleshale.com/forum/topics/sabine-island?id=211717...

Thanks Rock Man!

Wow!  It's wild to think that the 5/32" difference in the choke allows it to catch up to the volume of the other well within six months and still produce more over the lifetime.  Of course, I suppose the caveat is that the wells are geologically similar, but they cannot be the same.

All these wells in the example are in the same basic area in the EF trend, but you are correct that the geology is probably a bit different in each. As is the completion approach as to frac details.

This pressure maintenance effort has continued to show positive results not only in the EF but in some parts of the Permian Basin and other unconventional play areas.

Some things are just hard to wrap your brain around as to why the work - a reservoir engineer may be able to talk more on this is they are willing to post their ideas.

I'm sure they would use so much jargon as to cause my eyes to glaze over.  There are quite a few times on this site that I feel others articulate sesquipedalian in their confabulations.  I just equate the shale structure to a check valve, and like a check valve, if you don't relieve all the pressure too quickly on the upstream side you can let all of the fluid out of the system, albeit a bit slower than you may want.  If you relieve the pressure too quickly, the structure of the shale collapses and doesn't allow all of the gas to come out. 

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service