Are the Avatar Labels a Negative or Positive?

And why?

Views: 1075

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I view the labeling as a negative, Keith M.

In other words, such disputable branding over the avatars is distracting and dehumanizing; and, IMHO, it kinda cheapens the GHS social network.  On the screen of a laptop, the large point font of the text almost completely obscures an avatar image and it also sorta lumps everyone into one of two categories via degrading the individuality. 

Bad form.  Poor socializing.  We become data points, not human people.  Of course, for left-brain number-crunching wonks, some such folks might find that sticking whomever into an easy-to-read spread-sheet-like box fits their bean-counter thinking. 

So, if you ask me, I think it will drive average members away, and it probably will also decrease new membership, too (per the blatant bluntness of such status/biz branding).

GD

Once again I keep commenting on things before I know exactly what's being discussed. I had never noticed the labels, I thought they were discussing avatars and profiles.

In saying that,now that I've seen the label I don't mind them, but I think it should be much smaller. If I were labeled I would want my 19 years of oilfield service to be taken in to account. I'm not just a mineral owner I'm in the industry. I've also blogged about and researched the energy industry for about 8 years.  Maybe one day I'll work for one of the operators in these shale plays, who knows. So a label couldn't properly pigeonhole me. My profile explains a little more!

LOL. Gee. Someone else that wanders off on a tangent. I thought I was the only onethat did that. I'm glad you said something though because for some reason I thought it was Katrina, the hurricane that rocked my world. Your avatar is like mine in that it's not self-explanatory, although yours is moreso than mine.

Mine is the mighty Mississippi at it's flood stage last year, taken from the edge of the city limits of St. Francisvile, La. If you're unfamiliar with the area, this is right where you leave the edge of town headed for the now-defunct ferry. Ordinarily you would travel about 2 to 3 miles down this highway before reaching the ferry. You can't even see the main channel of the river in this picture. It is well beyond the distant tree line. If you are familiar with the area, you'll ask "Where us the old train car?" And the answer is that it's submerged over on the left.

Sesport ll ---- see nothing stopping you to type in your thoughts unless it's too insulting then your post  will gets the monitor sensorship or if that "you"-- maybe change your nickname to who you really are--LOL!!    But I do not think that is "You"

Yes. My thoughts exactly. I like your label. And I'm not saying it's you. I don't know you well enough. I just like it. I have some suggestions for categories too and I have no idea why they came to mind.

"CAUTION-Amateur Geologist. Do Not Make Any Important Decisions Based On ANYTHING I Say, No Matter How Much Since You Think It Makes"

"Habitual Water Muddier Upper"

"Keen Commentator on the Irrelevent"

"So Clueless It Takes Several Great Minds to Straighten Out the Confusion I Create"

"Bourbon Drinker" (Nuff said)

GD---and reply to Keith M. --yes GD maybe distracting ( But not really if compared to some of the Logo's we have some people chose for there ID)  and no to some of your comments--- especially no to  re:dehumanizing. I personally see nothing wrong in knowing who replies to a question if they are oil & gas professional or mineral owner because it tells me were they are coming from, assuming they are truthful.  I consider this site to be primary for infomation about the Haynesville and other area of oil/gas production and for education to the newbies in becoming a Grantor of a lease and future Royalty owner, ETC

Some, who are not "Oil & Gas Pros", may be upset that there are no label options that support their inflated self image.  Those who feel continually compelled to blow their own horn, as opposed to relying on the membership's ability to form an independent opinion, may feel upset that they are being marginalized. 

Skip--- agree completely because 4-5 years ago I got screwed on a lease in a shale play by a flipper. Turns out I am in a margin area as far as shale is and lease expired because flipper was unable to sell it before things fell out of bed in late 2008. But I have "bright spots" on 3-D and a offset well about one mile that made 1+bcf 1st year and flowing at 1.5 mcfd at present. So there is gas under me , and if /when nat gas gets back to 5-6 range one day I have chance to get leased and drilled. I have learned to lease only to Lessee that will drilI and be the operator and can drill a horizontial well. i am happy I do have few acres in producing cotton valley unit in east Texas with about 20 vertical wells since 2001. So I was a newbie when I joined this site and it has been awesome education on leasing terms, legal ( Ben's Group), plus the knowledge of what going on in all the play locations and economics of the oil & gas business, and a lot about geology, formations, drilling, etc plus members like you have been very helpful . Thanks

adubu, a combination of animosity and misinformation often leads inexperienced minerals owners down the path of demonizing the industry.  I've had a lot of them come to me later after having a less than productive result from that approach when attempting to negotiate a lease. 

The concept of a "flipper" is a good example.  My definition of a flipper is a party with no intention or ability to operate a well who is speculating or block busting (taking leases in close proximity to leasehold being acquired by a real operator).  The label is often inaccurately applied to land companies offering leases based on the instructions of a client that is an operator.  Energy companies have traditionally used one or more land companies to aggregate leases for a drilling prospect.  Those companies are given definitive parameters to follow in offering leases.  They are not at liberty to answer every question and their landmen usually know only the minimum required to make the offers.  This is standard operating procedure and there is nothing unethical about it in general.  There are no set rules and every operator can respond differently under varying circumstances.  Every mineral owner who doesn't feel comfortable with the process or the unanswered questions may choose not to execute a lease. Some operators may reveal their true identity to those with key mineral tracts who demand to know.  Others will often go years leasing around that tract and continue to refuse to deal directly (I've got a client with a key mineral tract in that situation now).

My concern is that, without specifics, inexperienced mineral owners may apply the term, and the negative connotation, "flipper" to any lessee that is not an operator.  Even when the lessee is a reputable land company.  Major operating companies rarely lease in their name.  If knowing the operator is a requirement then don't lease if you don't get it.  However this approach tends to take the focus off of the key lease terms which must be honored regardless of what company ultimately drills the wells.   

The negotiation of a mineral lease is a business transaction.  And should be approached as such.  Yes, being well informed is important and GHS has done an admirable job of providing basic information to help mineral owners make more informed decisions.  Unfortunately too many seem to get caught up in the invective and develop a hardened adversarial approach to leasing and/or dealing with their operators.  With no prior experience it is difficult for them to differentiate between normal operating procedure and allegations of nefarious dealings.  I know it can be an emotional roller coaster and that the industry is culpable in a number of cases that we have discussed. 

Those who have been around a long time have seen GHS industry members criticize energy companies when they think they deserve it and defend them when they think laymen just don't understand what is happening.  Those same industry members have exposed and criticized those who have joined the site to beat up mineral owners or attempt to pass along incorrect and deliberately misleading information.  The constant anti-industry drum beat that paints with too broad a brush can not only be a negative influence on mineral owners but IMO it wears on industry members such as Shale Geo, The Baron, Dion Warr, to name a few, who post here less and less because they grow tired of it. 

Skip--you define flipper same as I --- not the landman who works with broker land companies for clients(operators) for they are the majority in the field running title to find the mineral owners to contact for leasing. I find them ease to identify and most will tell you as much as they can to help you with a good lease. Of course there are snakes around in any business. The mineral owner should have no concern working with the landman working for broker firms. Please do not let the anti group run you and the others off. Please stay around

Glad you agree, adubu.  But can you see how the distinction between the two can be confusing to those new to the process who are suspicious or fearful in an atmosphere of anti-industry rhetoric?  I'm sure there are quite a few other instances that we recall discussing where the industry was deserving of criticism.    And I can recall all of the industry members I mention above joining in that criticism when they felt it was warranted.  They are professionals, proud of how they conduct their business, and perturbed when some in the industry do things that reflect poorly on them.  Specifics and accuracy are important to maintaining the kind of balance that makes the site so valuable to the average mineral owner.  That balance is well served, IMO, when those industry members regularly participate.  I can understand that they feel reluctant to do so when the anti-industry crowd is making sweeping defamatory statements in a large number of on going discussion threads.

Skip--- thanks for taking time. We are on the same page. I hope one day my shale minerals will result in producing Royalty for 85 net acres enough to be game  changer for my family and retirement. I enjoy the GHS site and especially to keep up to date on what happen re: Leasing and drilling in the area. I will use the knowledge I have learn as "O J T" on site to help the new people that ask straight forward question, etc. If I get out of line please tell me. I am getting "old" so sometimes I type things emotionally to reply to stupid comments or people as you said ---they need to inflate their self image

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service